My 12" JL audio sub!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i can get a hatchback i'd go for 4 8" subs personally. just bounce my car along the highway...

and rican, i work at circuit city and get a mad discount on car audio stuff and installs so i'm gonna have a blast :) :) :)

I miss the days of being young and retarded about speakers. I'm still half deaf in my right ear from being a stupid teenager. At one point i had 4 fosgate 12's in the backseat of my bug :) Now i have a dinky 12" pioneer in a banpass box in the trunk running off a fosgate 100.1 and that does enough.

I haven't had a system in my car for 2 years. I still have my phoenix gold tantrum series subs and amp though w/ my alpine headunit and mb quartz. I always hated hearing a car with a system driving by and it was all bass, no clarity. For subs I love phoenix,orion and memphis and JL of course

The jackhammer and thunder series of subs are the same sub if I remember correctly, that and the original jackhammer will kill.

Mannnn... I used to be into car audio hardcore. Then I became poor and lost interest. Now, running a nice set of 2 ways up front is all I need.

What's the story of the box? Sealed, ported? Braced?

I don't mean to be rude. But if you go to circuit city to buy car audio equipment you are not going to find anything but stuff that goes *loud distorted boom* :)

On the contrary:

MTX subs are very nice and if wired correctly with the proper amps and capacitors, they give clean bass. Also, it needs to be installed correctly, and the proper size measurements need to be used for the enclosure.

I don't know where you got that from, but MTX subs are old school, and definitely not cheap. I do prefer Orions myself, but theyre harder to find and come with a hefty price tag.

These boys are all you need:
Buy the MTX JackHammer Dual 12" Subwoofers in Vented Enclosure and other Car subwoofers at circuitcity.com

I guess, but if I ever buy a subwoofer for SQ I will keep MTX at the very back of my mind. This is how I see things

there really is no "best". there are 3 types of subs.

1. Crappy. These are the subs they sell at Bust Buy and Circut City. most of the time people get overhyped on things like peak wattage. what BB and CC sell are the low end of some name brand stuff. but its still low end, which means its still crappy. i would avoid buying any real subwoofer from these stores.

2. SPL. These are subs designed to get very loud, but dont sound good while being loud. some examples of these would be Kicker L7 and Solo X, MTX 9500, Pioneer 5000SPL. these subs will rattle your brain, but will sound like crap.

3. SQ. These are Sound Quality subs. they will not be as loud as a SPL sub, but they will sound great. Most poeple who get SQ subs are looking for a sub that will be crisp and tight. Its hard to find a good SQ sub, cause the steriotype is the louder the sub is, the better it is. which isnt always true. and just cause you get a SQ woofer, doesnt mean its not going to be loud.

i personally am a SQ type of guy. I went with a pair of Boston G5's. they sound great, and will 15mm of xmas, they can move some air, and get pretty loud. but its rare that i have it up that loud. you have to shop around and hear what you like. go to some local Car Audio shops, that sell good brands like the following:

Pioneer Premier
Boston Acoustics
Diamond Audio
Kenwood Excelon
MB Quart
Image Dynamics

On the contrary:

MTX subs are very nice and if wired correctly with the proper amps and capacitors, they give clean bass. Also, it needs to be installed correctly, and the proper size measurements need to be used for the enclosure.

I don't know where you got that from, but MTX subs are old school, and definitely not cheap. I do prefer Orions myself, but theyre harder to find and come with a hefty price tag.

These boys are all you need:
Buy the MTX JackHammer Dual 12" Subwoofers in Vented Enclosure and other Car subwoofers at circuitcity.com

It goes both ways, man. Yes, MTX is a good brand. But holy good God they are overpriced at CC to the max. I used to have a web site, which was the newegg of car audio... good stuff much cheaper than retail... wish I could remember it...

And I hope when you speak about proper enclosures and being installed right you aren't talking about the install team at CC... I have a small list of friends who were into car audio with me. I did stuff myself. They got it installed "professionally." At the end of the day, they had setups that sounded like atomic farts and holes drilled through the top of their gas tank, while I was off setting car alarms and a regular customer @ kmart buying rearview mirror adhesive.

It pays to do you homework and build your own box. I still have 3 sub boxes sittin in my garage... ahh, maybe someday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom