Multiple SATA HDDs...

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
I've been asking a lot of questions lately - sorry! It's just been chaos since me and my brother bought two almost-identical systems together.

Anyway, this problem is regarding my brothers computer. He got a 320gig SATA2 HDD with it, however he has 3 others from his previous computer he wishes to install into the new computer.

He will always have the computer boot the new 320gig hdd, but the other hdds will be visible in My Computer. Now, the 320gig boots fine on its own, however when his other 3 (lets call them the 200gigs, as they are) are plugged in, nothing ever boots. You either get it frozen on the detecting IDE screen (after the drives are detected), or at the end of updating DMI pool data... sometimes it says "Update Success!" and sometimes not, but it never boots.

We've tried placing the hard-drives in different positions... the 320gig on its own channel as master and another 2 as master/slave on a second channel, the 320gig a master and a 200gig as slave, and then the other 2 on the other channel, etc... I've ensured the hdd-boot priority is set correctly, and that our primary boot is the hard-drive. ONE time, we managed to have it start loading Windows for assumingly the 320gig hdd, but it just kept loading for ages and didn't actually get into anything. When we restarted we had the booting problem again.

Lately my brother hasn't been able to boot the 320gig anymore (the new one) but I haven't been around and i'm pretty sure I just didn't leave it connected properly or have the BIOS setup properly, which is fine.

If you guys have any ideas what to do here, that would be wonderful. Thanks.

-Rhys

First up there is no such thing as master/slave with sata...it is one drive one cable one channel.IDE drives have the master/slave jumper settings whereas sata doesn't. What configuration are you using? Are they all sata?....are you using a raid configuration?..or JBOD? you will need to have your raid drivers installed. And you need to configure the drives as whatever raid type you are using by going into the BIOS

I just assumed there was as when it is detecting "IDE Drives" it comes up the SATA hard-drives under channel numbers and master/slave. They're all sata, I have 4 ports. I figured out through trial and error that 2 are detected as one channel (and one as master, one as slave) and the other 2 are detected as another channel with master and slave.

I don't want to use RAID. My brother had these SATA drives running fine on his other system - that is, he had one drive boot, and the others visible in his My Computer folder. They are just storage, they do not have operating systems on them.

Do you have SATA drivers installed...and what are the 3 other drives set up as in the bios?

SATA Drivers installed? Considering I cannot even boot the hard-drive, how can I install SATA drivers?

And what do you mean by how are they setup as? They are considering the masters/slaves of different channels, as I have explained in the initial post.

Thanks
-Rhys

When you installed windows it gives you the option to install Raid or third party drivers right at the beginning. Thats is how I have always done it. Not sure if you are able to put your raid driver disk in and boot from the cd drive to install them now i dunno i have never done it that way..

If that works go into bios and try configuring them as a JBOD array

I know, but I don't WANT to use RAID or JBOD. Is this required for multiple SATA drives visible in My Computer?

I know, but I don't WANT to use RAID or JBOD. Is this required for multiple SATA drives visible in My Computer?

according to the sites i have checked out on google the raid drivers need to be installed during windows installation. dunno if there is a way around that

I understand that. But I DO NOT NEED RAID. I am not USING RAID. RAID is if I want all the hard-drives to act as one, allowing one file to be written across two hard-drives or something alike. I DO NOT WANT THAT. Thus, I do not need any RAID drivers.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom