Multiple Browser Bundling With Windows Is Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source Multiple Browser Bundling With Windows Is Stupid

A recent article published at the Wall Street Journal suggests that EU officials are considering forcing Microsoft to include a bunch of web browsers into the operating system to dilute the advantage that Internet Explorer has so far. This could mean forcing Microsoft to add web browsers to the installation of the operating system or to offer the user a choice during installation to download and install another web browser.
This poses some interesting questions. Who decides which web browsers will be included? The list will probably include Firefox, the Google Browser, Safari and Opera. But what about other niche browsers? What if the makers of Lynx, Arachne or Sleipnir want their web browsers included as well? This opens Pandora's Box and will confuse the average joe more than anything else. Many regular Windows users do not even know which version of the operating system they are running. How are they supposed to make a decision between 5, 10 or 20 of different web browsers that are included in the operating system?

Sounds kinda stupid if you ask me. Of course the other browser's will like it since they would get more exposure, but how much do you think this will add to the price of a OS?

I don't see how this would make the OS any more expensive. But I agree, it is a bit stupid. If I want to use a non-IE browser, then I can. If an average Joe is confused by choices then they might as well use IE (since they're unlikely to need a better browser), while the more enlightened of us can use a more effective browser.

I see now, I was thinking that Windows would have to pay the browser company's to have them included in the OS. It would be the other way around if Windows had to choose the OS. Or no money would be exchanged at all..

Microsoft wouldnt have to pay them anything. Since they are FREE. Opera is free, Firefox is free, Safari is free, Chrome is free. So why would Microsoft have to pay them to have it bundled with Windows? They might get a small royalty from having it bundled but i doubt it. Since Windows is the highest used OS in the world, the exposure that they would get would be a better trade off for them rather than wanting money.

I still say Microsoft should just not bundle a browser and let the people suffer to figure out how to get to the internet. Lets see how fast the EU gets hit over that blunder.

But that would be cruel to my friends over there. So you know what, let them include every browser. Even the minute and misc ones. Then let everyone complain about the bloat that is in Windows and have Microsoft tell them to talk to the EU for forcing them to do it.

Either way it is stupid and silly. If people do not know about Firefox or any alternative browser to IE by now, they dont use the internet enough to even bother to have them download a different browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom