MultiCam NVR to TV

It would be in your best interest today to learn some Linux.
I do not know what your personal life is like, but if you can find the time, do it.
Using these Raspberry Pi's would save your boss a lot of $$$ because you can get these Pi's with cases and flash cards for less than $50. The operating system and software is free, and you can stick them right on the back of the tv's because they are so small. You'll probably be the only one in the company to know how to use these Pi's and that will make you a very valuable employee too, Everything would be a gain gain situation for you

I cant say i dont know nothing about linux... I used Ubuntu for a year. But the down fall to open sourcing is the support options you have... And it doesnt fall under our insurance.. Being $40 who cares about insurance i guess

It would be hard work to figure it out with the Pi's but in the end, it'll pay off with the knowledge you learn from it and gain from the requirements that your company will need you because your the only one that set it all up. There's a lot of on line help with any Linux distro, so it's not like you'll be alone doing it. Somebody else might have already done this with the Pi and posted it some where on a Linux forum
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21254

It might not be easy....but that's why we call it work

Last edited:
Also feel free to post back with any questions at all! Some of linux users could get you up and running in no time if you ever hit a roadblock.

Also the nice thing about Zoneminder is the fact that most of it is web based, you just need to do the initial configuration. So really, all you have to do is run the commands off the tutorial, then you can forget the command line and use the GUI.

Ok i have decided im going to dig into linux and buy one of those raspberry pi's for myself but its not going to work for my scenario

.. Just found out they want full access to the server so windows RDP is a must and they also want to be able to stream video and access presentations (Microsoft office)

I think i'm stuck with a thin client until the Surface hub comes out ....

Is there a better idea than a thin client? I dont want to run a wire from a PC to the TV... And they dont want it running from a 2nd or 3rd monitor from their PC.. (picky, i know)

Does anyone know anything about those HDMI sticks that claim to turn ur TV into a thin client?? I doubt it supports Flash or anything of that sort . IDK!!!!

I setup a 6 server network but cant figure out good way to do this dam* TV

Is there a better idea than a thin client? I dont want to run a wire from a PC to the TV... And they dont want it running from a 2nd or 3rd monitor from their PC.. (picky, i know)

In this case, it looks like a thin client would be your next best bet.

Does anyone know anything about those HDMI sticks that claim to turn ur TV into a thin client?? I doubt it supports Flash or anything of that sort . IDK!!!!

Now for HDMI sticks, I personally have absolutely no experience with these devices, so please do double check what I am saying. After some searching around, maybe something like this would work well for you?

http://amzn.com/B00S6LJVR8

Or this? http://amzn.com/B00REGG6QU

Its basically a full blown computer that plugs into an HDMI port. Since its running a full version of Windows 8.1, I would assume it woulden't have any issues with flash and programs and such.

**Edit**

Just read up more on those devices, windows 8.1 doesn't come with it you would have to buy a license after the 30 day trial. Which would also be more expensive.

Last edited:
THAT 2nd one is PERFECT!....

Are you sure it doesnt come with the OS?? It states

Nice purchase man! I may have mis-read the customer questions part, however the guy answering the questions is extremely confusing...

ss77.png

But yeah... haha you should be fine, looking at the description and such it says included.

Let us know how it goes once you get it! :)

Back
Top Bottom