mspaint hijacking file associations windows 10

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
another wtf from Microsoft.

I uninstalled the useless photo app that came with windows 10 to go back to old proto viewer

which I had to do every time I got a major update which is retarded to begin with
so I saved the reg file to enable it

worked every single time on multiple computers until I did it on my laptop
now for some unknown fn reason the MS paint hijacked jpg and jpeg formats and will not let me switch to photo viewer as a default

I select it from "open with" menu and click always use that program.
and it does not work. ms paint opens it next time
I go to default apps in settings and it only gives me MS paint as an option to open jpg file.
this is really frustrating and stupid. I want to find a random Microsoft employee and punch it in the face for wasting so much of my time with useless crap trying to make windows work for me

anyway. if there are any Microsoft employees here partially or fully responsible for this crap I hope you are proud of yourself. may gods bless you with karma somewhere else..

anyway #2

how can I fix this? its starting to piss me off I tried everything I know and its still opening with MSpaint

Post up the reg file you used on the laptop, and what version of 10 the laptop is running plz

Do PNGs still work as normal?

Open regedit and go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile], right click that key and Export, save to desktop as wahtever.reg and provide as well if you can

Last edited:
Or you could try an o.s. that does not screw with your computer
(meaning you own your pc... not Microsoft!)

Last edited:
^So...got anything useful to add? :angel:
It is quite useful.
issue: op has os that changes his personal settings to what the os wants and not the user.
Dump that oppressive os and get something that does not screw with your personal set up.
Why do we feel that we must be chained to M$ and it's offensive practices?
I am serious. If someone has an os that is misbehaving like the op's is, then it's way past time to consider an alternative os that works for/with you instead of against you
Microsoft sez: "it's not broken, that is by design"

Last edited:
ok Joe C suggest me an alternative to Microsoft that has that has same functionality as Microsoft and same support for all the devices and software etc...

I can't answer that without knowing what you do with your pc. I'm sure that if you do not like M$ changing your settings around, and taking control of your pc you can find a Linux distro that can suit your needs

only one of the file formats switched. but jpg and jpeg and jpe are stuck with mspaint
all have same windows version

Back
Top Bottom