msn messenger problems!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul111111

Solid State Member
I wish anybody can help me,

My OS is win98 Se, I communicate from Malta to Canada the other person also has Win98 Se.

Recently I was having lots of problems with ICQ, it was horrible it would hang up crash, loose connection. To solve the problem I formatted my computer and re installed 98 so did the other person I communcated with, the problems remained got worse with ICQ which up to a few months ago worked fine.

So we decided to move to MSN Messenger I downloaded V5.0 and while I was at it I downloaded all the updates for 98 including IE6 and all the security updates. However I can never send or recieve files from the other user in Canda, I keep getting the following message "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your system administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers." Which is bull**** because I can send and recieve files from local users who are even using windows XP.

Both me and the other user in Canada have disabled our antivirus software but still it would not work, however the other user did not download all the windows updates, what should I do, should I stick to 98 or move to XP or would this cause more problems?

Please help
thanks.

hmm well i have this problem 2 kinda i can recieve files but not send them but i have norten firewall and windows xp built in firewall so im guessing thats why but does anyone know if the xp firewall is any good because thier is no way of configuring it that i can find, any help?

NO, it sucks, is useless, and you should turn it off immediatly, ESPECIALLY if you already have norton.

Msn Messenger prob

The Problem seems to be from the other persons ISP, the ISP is Cojeco in Canada Toronto, does anybody know if they filter traffic by any chance, I just can't get anything to work through that ISP.

Thanks

Hi Guys,,

you have me thinking now,, thought it was just me,,, but ,, if anyone can figure out what I am attaching below,, please post the real method on how this works,,

I get the same error as Paul,, and I have my machine wide open,, thats right crackers,, dig in! ,,, any how,, in messenger, I am unable to open a file transfer through Messenger,,

I am running XP Pro fully updated with the fire wall OFF<,

but check this out for those that understand the talk of the DEVIL tribe themselves....

1)Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308127
How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This article was previously published under Q308127
SUMMARY
This article describes how to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) in Windows XP.
MORE INFORMATION
Programs may potentially require ports to be manually opened so that the programs work correctly when ICF is in use either on the local computer or on the gateway computer. You may have to use this procedure if there is a service that is running on a computer that has ICF enabled that you want to make available to users on the Internet.

NOTE: The actual port settings vary from program to program.

To manually open a port:

Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, you can right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

NOTE: If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection and you do not have to open any ports (they are all already open).
Click Add to open a new port.
In the Description box, type a friendly name. For example, type File Sharing : Port 445.
In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1.

NOTE: You can specify the IP address of an internal computer; however, in most cases, you use 127.0.0.1.
In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. In most cases, this number is the same.
Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
Repeat this process for each port to be opened.

2)Programs Require Manual Port Configurations with Internet Connection Firewall

This article was previously published under Q307554

SUMMARY
This article lists some programs that require you to manually open ports so that the programs can work correctly. To work correctly, some programs need to have specific ports open so that traffic can pass through the Internet Connection Firewall.
Programs That Require Manually Opened Ports to Work Correctly
Program TCP ports UDP ports
AOL Instant Messenger 443,563
Crimson Skies 28805,28801,3040, 1121
Decent 3 1900 1900,2092
Diablo II 4000 6112
Need for Speed 9442 6112
Napster 6699 6699
NetMeeting 1731,1720,1503,522,389
Rainbow Six 2346,2347,2348

3)How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP

This article was previously published under Q308127
SUMMARY
This article describes how to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) in Windows XP.
MORE INFORMATION
Programs may potentially require ports to be manually opened so that the programs work correctly when ICF is in use either on the local computer or on the gateway computer. You may have to use this procedure if there is a service that is running on a computer that has ICF enabled that you want to make available to users on the Internet.

NOTE: The actual port settings vary from program to program.

To manually open a port:
Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, you can right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

NOTE: If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection and you do not have to open any ports (they are all already open).

Click Add to open a new port.

In the Description box, type a friendly name.
For example, type File Sharing : Port 445.

In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1.

NOTE: You can specify the IP address of an internal computer; however, in most cases, you use 127.0.0.1.
In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. In most cases, this number is the same.
Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
Repeat this process for each port to be opened.

I have never put the tiime into checking this info out,,

Ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom