MSI GTX970

frldyz

In Runtime
Background:
1. 1st build.
2. 3 mos. ago minimal computer knowledge. Went from learning what wi-fi and Bluetooth is ---> challenging myself to do a build.
3.. Will be basic home PC. Mainly file ( pic and home video storage ), with possible gaming. Nothing crazy....?

What I have so far:
i7 4790k
gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 mobo
Noctua NH-D14 fan/heat sink
Crucial Ballistix ( sport) 16gb RAM - 2 x 8gb sticks
Corsair AX 750 PSU
LG Blu-Ray internal optical drive w/ burner and BDXL
Samsung 500gb 850 PRO SSD
Internal card reader (don't laugh)
Corsair 760T case
HGST 4tb HDD 7200rpm

What I still need to get:
Another larger External HD
OS _ Leaning towards Win 7.
GPU- Want to run 3 monitors. Nothing crazy like 4k or too insanely expensive. Mainly because we have lots of windows open ( online ) @ a time. Do not intend to game with 3 monitors unless Im able to without going crazy $$$

1st of I know this build is way more massive and $ as I need. I know that. But I've been purchasing these products when they have a great sale. And a lot of advice I got from some builders " you'll always wish you would of got something bigger and better". So yes I know what I jave here is more then adequate. But you never know I might realy get into this PC stuff ( I already am) and Id rather have an overkill now then redoing in the future.

That being sad.

Next on my purchase list is a GPU. I'm looking @ the MSI 970. Built for more then I need. But like I said above. What's everyone's opinions on this GPU?
I do intend to run 3 monitors.

I'd get an eVGA but I prefer their CS and RMA department over all else. The 970 is a good card and if you do actually game you'll be able to run anything.

Background:

1st of I know this build is way more massive and $ as I need. I know that. But I've been purchasing these products when they have a great sale. And a lot of advice I got from some builders " you'll always wish you would of got something bigger and better". So yes I know what I jave here is more then adequate. But you never know I might realy get into this PC stuff ( I already am) and Id rather have an overkill now then redoing in the future.

That being sad.

Next on my purchase list is a GPU. I'm looking @ the MSI 970. Built for more then I need. But like I said above. What's everyone's opinions on this GPU?
I do intend to run 3 monitors.

ZOTAC ZT-90106-10P GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express SLI Support AMP! Omega Core Edition Video Card - Newegg.com
This would be more than enough for your needs and you shouldn't need a new card within 2 years.

Everyone likes windows 7, even I do, but I suggest you move on to windows 8.
Especially if you've been looking at windows 10, it'll have some features windows 8 has.

I'd get an eVGA but I prefer their CS and RMA department over all else. The 970 is a good card and if you do actually game you'll be able to run anything.

+1 to getting an EVGA brand. Never had issues with their customer service / support.

Another satisfied eVGA customer here (multiple cards)

My current one is a 680 FTW edition, and it can still handle everything I throw at it (1920x1080).

I usually get EVGA and completely agree there great, I went with MSI due to the fact EVGA was having a few unknown if they would be an issue things going on when first released and the MSI was the OC monster at the time and I'm very happy with it but the EVGA turned out to not have any issue so I'd get the EVGA because there customer service is top notch and easy to work with them and I have dealt with them in the past and it was a easy RMA, at the time they had a life time warrenty and they actually upgraded me on a 4 yr old card that failed. Both MSI and EVGA make great cards but I have no idea how good MSI is with there customer service.

Dauntae

Last edited:
Both MSI and EVGA make great cards but I have no idea how good MSI is with there customer service.

Dauntae

Lets just say there better than asus and asrock customer/technicial support.
If you can remember this in the future.
Don't bother with tier 1 support because they don't know what their doing besides basic troubleshooting.

Lets just say there better than asus and asrock customer/technicial support.
If you can remember this in the future.
Don't bother with tier 1 support because they don't know what their doing besides basic troubleshooting.

Heard lots of bad things about Asus CS...most recently saw a dude get the run-around with Asus on [H]ardOCP's forums with a 780Ti. They were gonna send him a 780 as a replacement instead of the Ti version, then he finally got a Ti version after a few weeks, which was a dead refurb...I think he ended up getting another bad refurb Ti, and they ended up sending him a 980 finally. But this was over the course of a couple months before it finally got resolved.

Asus makes good stuff...it's just that their support sucks.

Heard lots of bad things about Asus CS...most recently saw a dude get the run-around with Asus on [H]ardOCP's forums with a 780Ti. They were gonna send him a 780 as a replacement instead of the Ti version, then he finally got a Ti version after a few weeks, which was a dead refurb...I think he ended up getting another bad refurb Ti, and they ended up sending him a 980 finally. But this was over the course of a couple months before it finally got resolved.

Drogos here had the same issue with a 780ti.

...... Go look inside the staff forum and look at the topic where I had that issue back in 2013 of april.
Look very closely at the issues I described reguarding asus.
Also yes I very am sorry I had to do what I needed to make sure one customer I brought here get the right support.
Thanks to mister graphic ***** for trouble shooting it.
However All of that started up because of a mobo asus never knew how to fix ?
Even ****ing asus tech support admitted to me in the late summer of 2012.
Sure they make some good products but I'll be damned to buy another asus product and have it break down quickly.

I rather not go through them again, 3 bad runs is enough in my book.

Back
Top Bottom