mscat32.dll :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofraven

In Runtime
hello everyone, hope someone can help me. i have a
pen3 850 mhz i upgraded from 450 mhz,a couple weeks befor problem.
512 ram
win98se
geforce 2 32 meg
dsl, nortons anti virus 2002
when i open a window and minimize it , it disappears?it doesnt go to my task bar, so i ran system file checker and this is what i found,mscat32.dll corrupt, try to fix using win98se cd and info not found so i found a site that has the file and downloaded it and renamed my old file so i wouldnt lose it and i think i installed the new file that i downloaded because i extracted it to window/system where the other one was. i didnt copy and paste , just extracted, and did another
a system file check and now it says that mssip32.dll is corrupt so i do the same for that file and do a sfc again and it says mssign32.dll is corrupt , so i do the same and now it says a cryptui.dll file is corrupt , so i try to do the same for that one and it wont work, i get this message from winzip.

Extracting to "c:\windows\system\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Error: The process cannot access the file because
it is being used by another process.
Cannot create c:/windows/system/cryptui.dll

please help , does anyone know what this is and if i can just delete what ever program it is? i have noticed that my pc's system resources are like, 86 at boot up and then it goes around 77 , it use to be 96 at boot up and 88 or better after. i have 512 ram , it acts like something is running i dont know what to do. i have replaced
mscat32.dll
mssip32.dll
mssign32.dll
and tryed to replace cryptui.dll
all replace ok except cryptui.dll...... help please someone has to have heard of these files and what they go to

microbell, i checked and it does go in c:\windows\system , i was told that i have to put a updated file on a floppy and then boot up with it and when a black screen comes up i type, COPY CRYPTUI.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and press enter. how ever i tryed this on 2 different floppys and i get this..

nonsystem disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.

can u give me some advice on this . thank you :)

got it!!

ok i fixed the problem, had to start in dos and delete file then go back and replace it, everything is working good now, and i think i found out what cause the corrupt files in the first place, i had the friends greetings worm virus. so i go rid of that and went into my add and remove ,to remove friend greeting and my task bar was working again. remember i said i couldnt minimize windows in my task bar. so thanx for all your advice , for im back on the right track again, for a while anyway :)

hello as in my last posts, i stated that i opened system file checker to check for corrupt files, and i would like to use this function again, but forgot what to type in the run box to open it. lol ... im running win98se , does anyone know what i type in the run box to open system file checker? and by the way i already tried , " system file checker " .:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom