MS will now require xp users to install SP2 whether they like it or not

the only reason why linux doesnt have service pakcs is because its not as popular as windows, if it was the other way around linux we be the more vuranable OS rather than windows.

Haha. At last!

Linux only has less service packs because its releases are service packs. If you get Windows XP SP2 on CD; that's what its like getting a new Linux - every new release is a new service pack. Windows makes a point of becoming vastly superior in every release. Have you not wondered why there are Linux Versions 5.9.7.283.912.732.1283 - they're service packed - they just don't release them for patching all the time like Microsoft do.

Haha; missed a whole page there!

Yeah; being Open-Source if Linux was in the position Windows is in it would be twice, three times as insecure as Windows is now. There isn't the tech, or the money, or the organisation from a non-profit non-centralised organisation to produce the stuff and power needed to keep everybody updated for free like Windows does. There would be no free support, no free updates. At best you could download a new version and install it but you'd have to pay for the CD to be sent if you know nothing, or for a tech-guy to come over and install it afterwards even if you download it. For most people; Linux is no possible, not only because of the dreadful uselessness of the Programming Model but because of the drastic security concerns involved with allowing people to edit Operating Systems in ways that few could notice and then sell them on to the public legally, who would have no idea of the changes made which could send pictures to the person, or files, or personal details, or e-mails and addresses.

ACES WILD said:
this sucks, I despise service pack 2, it's more trouble than it's worth, it messes up drivers, programs and other things, we'll just see if they can make me install it. besides, You can disable windows update can't you?
That's exactly what I did, thought it made my desktop with XP Home very vulnerable as I was away in hospital for a while recently, & when I came back, a few days ago, I expected the worst, one was "NT authority shutdown" which I had had twice in the past, managing to get a patch on a floppy at a local computer shop [£1!], absolute bargain, as it got rid the second time too, I have a very good AV so I was confident, as it happened it found no viruses when I ran it.
Like you, AW, I am very anti SP2, I find that over 50% are against it.
Nice "meeting" you, 'spect we'll meet again, on the last site I clocked up over 600 posts/threads, obviously there is there a ranking system here, on CF, where can I see the levels?

Maurice ;)

Yeah LK, and is it possible to update to SP2 with two words in Windows? no I don't think so. Gentoo = emerge update . :)

David Lindon said:
Its April 14th and I haven't been prompted
Hang in there it will come...j/k ...what are you talking bout ?

as for the upgrade unauthorized, i think it is absolute BS...They can't just highjack the computer and put their own crap on there.

I think this is their way of better keeping track on people and what their up too.

They're only trying to make everybody use SP2 because it makes sense :p Its a security upgrade... Microsoft don't want bugs on your PC anymore than you do; it damages morale. Think how many spam e-mails and support requests are made from and about computers owned people with no experience at all. Its not a good thing and as Automatic Update is not switched on in SP1 Machines, these people wouldn't know about it without Microsoft trying to make it impossible to get around. Its almost certainly possible to stop SP2 from installing; but why I still don't understand would you actually not want it? It adds Security, and only one feature you'll ever notice, which is the Security Centre that will help you in so many ways, didn't help me at all, and its not in 2003 SP1 but for those with Anti-Virus and Third Party Firewalls its very useful.

rakedog said:
Yeah LK, and is it possible to update to SP2 with two words in Windows? no I don't think so. Gentoo = emerge update . :)
Three words: update.microsoft.com. Or two words: microsoft.com, and one click. Many would find the later just as easy as typing emerge update, just a click more and options as to which to install, a History of installs, a selection of Driver updates and if you haven't looked through Microsoft Downloads in a while, a nice selection of less technical Updates.

Although you don't actually need to type anything; you click a few times to turn it on, not even that if you have SP2 already where its automatically turned on and it does it for you automatically, without any words.

what is every1's problem with sp2? easy installl....adds security...and lets me create a wireless network :D

and what programs/drivers does it mess up...? everything works fine on my comps

Back
Top Bottom