MS Virtual PC is now free (as in beer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea how old this topic is but I figured I'd bump it since it seemed relevant to my question.

I plan to start running Linux on another hard drive in the future, and I was wondering what I could do to get around the incompatibility issues with games. Is there another alternative to Virtual PC, or would Virtual PC be my only option? Some of you speak of it's unstableness... should I even bother with Virtual PC then, assuming it's my only option?

"OMG!!! I will never use Windows AGAIN!!!!...."

Jayce said:
No idea how old this topic is but I figured I'd bump it since it seemed relevant to my question.

lol

I plan to start running Linux on another hard drive in the future, and I was wondering what I could do to get around the incompatibility issues with games. Is there another alternative to Virtual PC, or would Virtual PC be my only option? Some of you speak of it's unstableness... should I even bother with Virtual PC then, assuming it's my only option?
I think what you are really looking for is a program called Wine for Linux. Wine is not an emulator (Like Virtual PC), It just allows Linux or Unix users the ability to run Windows based programs.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Emulators/Wine-148.shtml

I aint no expert at this Linux stuff, so i cant tell you wether or not if you install a program, it would work correctly. All i know (From what i hear) is that DirectX (Though it being limited) runs rather well in this program.

I hope somebody else can JUMP IN and tell you more... I want to know more about this 133t program...:D :) :cool:

Yeah, after I posted this my buddy told me about that. That'll be nice, I can use linux with wine + openoffice and be fully microsoft free. :)

I'm in a debate now. Spend 25 bucks more for a hard drive tomorrow at Circuit City to run Linux, or save 20 bucks (5 shipping) and order the same HDD from NewEgg and have it here by Thursday? I leave for the back Friday night for a week so I think I may give Circuit City some business and bite my lip for the more expensive (but quicker) choice... :mad:

WINE can run most basic windows programs, but for games you would probably want to use Cedega. A lot of times it takes some finagling to get either to work. If you are not a heavy gamer, there are plenty of alternatives to windows programs. There are also a few great games that have been ported to linux (Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, and America's Army, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom