motherboard

What it sounds like to me is that you can only have 2 of the 4 slots filled with 1066 memory, and they can't be dual channel. So sounds like a waste to me. You'd probably be better off with 4 sticks of DDR2 800 so both sets would be running dual channel. Hmm. That's an odd requirement. I've never seen that before on other boards like that that support AM2+ and AM3.

I think you can run 1066MHz in dual channel mode - Two sticks.

But if you try to run 3 or 4 1066Mhz sticks the motherboard will down-clock the RAM to 800MHz due to CPU limitation

I think you can run 1066MHz in dual channel mode - Two sticks.

But if you try to run 3 or 4 1066Mhz sticks the motherboard will down-clock the RAM to 800MHz due to CPU limitation

IDK. It's just odd altogether.

Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM3/AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only

It means you can only run two sticks of 1066 is dual channel.
TBH, I can't see why you couldn't just force it to run 1066 dual channel by overriding the auto settings. Just go with a different motherboard just in case, I'd take a 790FX or even a 790GX over a 780a anyday, even if it didn't leave me with the option of running SLi later.

EDIT: The 980a is just a rebranded 780a. The 980a was originally intended to be the name of the NB of Nvidia's DDR3 boards (Since the memory controller is located in the CPU, the north bridge doesn't change at all 780a = 980a). The board you linked to is still DDR2, and they're calling it a 980a. This is just a big fat fail for Nvidia's rebranding.

Back
Top Bottom