Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikestuf

Beta member
Apologies, but I'm not hardware minded at all.....

Just resolved a crisis with the PC - ended up having the motherboard replaced and reinstalled XP etc. However, no audio at all. Looking in control panel > sounds and audio devices, it's showing 'no audio device'. Therefore, I can install drivers until I'm blue in the face, but theres nothing for them to....drive, as it were.

I was thinking, maybe my old motherboard had a sound-card built-in, while this one doesn't. I would open the thing up and have a poke around, but I wouldn't have a clue what I was seeing. So any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

hi ilikestuf!! the easier way to find out if your motherboard have a sound card on board, is to check on it's box specs, or in the manual of the board. if you don't have the box or the manual, try to open the case and look for a brand name or a model on the motherboard... so you can search for it's specifications.
if there is a sound card on board, then you need to find the chipset type from the specifications of the motherboard to find the correct drivers for the sound card. we prefer to visit first the web page of the manufacture for info or drivers. if you don't have results, then search in alternative web sites.
if there is no sound card on board, then simply install a new one on a pci slot of the motherboard. new soundcards come together with a manual, drivers, and installation guide. if you have a second hand sound card, find the drivers for that, by brand name and model and install it on a pci slot on your motherboard and then put the drivers. have a good work!! reply again if you face problems.

Does your PC have audio ports at the back? If yes, you have a sound card. You can get soundcard drivers by searching in Google.

that's ok. check on the back if there are jacks or gamepad port. but with this way as athlon said, you will not be able to find out what model is the sound card. how you gonna search for drivers in google without to know the brand and model ?

Well i once had the same problem, and i did not know what mine was, but i downloaded some NVidia drivers and it worked fine. If you don't know what model you have, then the easiest thing to do is try out some different ones until you find some that work. If you know what motherboard you have then search under the name of that model, that's the best bet.

Lucky shot my friend! if you just try any drivers you find with the hope to work some day, this may take weeks. probaply the next time you work like that, you will see what i mean.

Did the Mobo come with a disc if so drivers should be on that for the audio if it is built in. And XP should recognize if there is hardware that needs installing eg sound and game controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom