motherboard question. FSB?

pud

In Runtime
first off, whats FSB?
and if the mobo spec is 2600 MHz Hyper Transport, and the CPU is 3600 MHz...does that affect anything?

The frontside bus (FSB) connects the computer's processor to the system memory and other components on the motherboard. They include the system chipset, video card, PCI devices, and other peripherals. It serves as the main path from the processor to the rest of the motherboard and it's speed is measured in MHz.

Hyper Transport works much in the same way as the FSB, but is a direct replacement:
HyperTransport is an open standard which has been incorporated into AMD's processors. ntegrating HyperTransport into the CPU enables the elimination of the Front Side Bus along with the performance penalties usually associated with that bus.

HyperTransport affects more than the CPU though. HyperTransport is a complete system bus which integrates PCI, PCI-X, USB, FireWire, AGP 8x, InfiniBand, PL-2, SPI, and Gigabit Ethernet.

HyperTransport provides up to 22.4 Gigabyte/second aggregate CPU to I/O or CPU to CPU bandwidth.

Using a CPU with a 3600MHz HTX on a motherboard with support for only a 2600MHz HTX will result in the CPU running at a slower spec and not achieving it's full performance.

Using a CPU with a 3600MHz HTX on a motherboard with support for only a 2600MHz HTX will result in the CPU running at a slower spec and not achieving it's full performance.

does such a situation apply here?

from the board I have picked out:
FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135075

and the CPU I have picked out:
Hyper Transports 3600MHz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244&Tpk=amd phenom 9600

how come the only boards I can find for AMD go up to 2600MHz, but their processors run to 4000MHz?

edit: Also how much will this situation affect performance?
I have a sempron 3400 now, so sure this will all be kickass...but still, matter of principal you know.

and if the mobo spec is 2600 MHz Hyper Transport, and the CPU is 3600 MHz...does that affect anything?
Newegg's specs are just a little scewed. The you need to look at the info in () for the mobo, which is 5200MT/s, the CPU's HT speed is 3600MT/s (It will show up as 1800 in the BIOS)

I need help if anyone can help me to understand this?

My CPU has a FrontSide BUSS of 1800 MHz
And my DDR2 is 800 MHz

Now what is going on here my FSB is moving faster then my RAM.

or is this not how it works??

Should I not try to get my RAM to go at the speed of the CPUs FSB?????

I need help if anyone can help me to understand this?

My CPU has a FrontSide BUSS of 1800 MHz
And my DDR2 is 800 MHz

Now what is going on here my FSB is moving faster then my RAM.

or is this not how it works??

Should I not try to get my RAM to go at the speed of the CPUs FSB?????

FSB is an Intel related term, it applies to Intel processors, if you have an AMD cpu forget about FSB and read the posts above from worshipme and AR...

Front Side Bus. And I believe it doesnt.

correct, on AMD cpus it doesn't...

You are right I have an AMD CPU and it has a
3600 MTs

And my DDR2 is 800 MHzSo I know it means that every Clock Cycle my RAM is taking in and puting out Data.

And the speed is 800 MHz

but what about the CPU how is all this working??

You are right I have an AMD CPU and it has a
3600 MTs

And my DDR2 is 800 MHzSo I know it means that every Clock Cycle my RAM is taking in and puting out Data.

And the speed is 800 MHz

but what about the CPU how is all this working??

faster RAM is actually fully functional with AMD systems, not so much with Intel systems (FSB limitations), unless you decrease the multiplier...

Back
Top Bottom