Motherboard Gone bad?

Clayton1

Beta member
Hello
I have a dell dimension 2400 that i'm looking at for a friend. It has slowed down to a snails pace. (it took about 5 hours to run ad-aware se) Changing hard drives and operating systems does not improve the situation at all. I highly suspect that something has gone wrong with the performance of the motherboard. The processor is a 2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron. The main cicuit board is: Dell Computer Corp. 0C2425 A00
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A03 09/19/2003
What specification am I supposed to look at to determine If I'm right and the Motherboard has become trash? What is this Bus Clock: 400 megahertz specification? And finally is there a free software program that will enable me to see that there is a problem with the motherboard output speed and not just tell me what it is supposed to be? Note: With 384 MB of ram installed this computer at one time ran Windows XP home edition just great. Thanks

Well, there could be dust buildup inn the PC and it may overheat. That throttles down the CPU. Another thing that could be wrong is probably the BIOS setting that the CPU is set to run at either the given speed or Compatible mode. Compatible mode is just not good. I tried it and it made the computer go super slow.

Ihuser Thanks a ton! It was set to compatable mode and I switched it to normal and now it just zips along!

There we go. I'm glad it's solved :D
CompMan said:
waht kinda computer do u have Ihuser? I never new ur specs
I have a custom made computer, so there's no Dell. It's a Pentium 4 S478 Prescott @ 3.0GHZ/800FSB, 1GB DDR400 Dual channel, a Geforce FX 5200, a 160GB HDD, a DVD burner and a Soundblaster Live! 5.1. All, cooled by 9 fans, which is more than enough, bringing the CPU to the low 40's idle and as cool as 29C on a cold day. Everything powered by a good 500W PSU. Thanks Bob :D

Back
Top Bottom