Motherboard FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixxxer

Baseband Member
This may be a stupid question, and one which I may already know the answer to, but I was wondering if it's possible to overclock the fsb on any motherboard, particularly mine (see below). With a decent processor, I come to the conclusion that the slowing factor within is the mb and not the processor (?). I dunno... although I dont really need any more power, I would like to know for future reference if there are any caps I can remove from my system to make it faster since I've just spent $400 getting a new GPU and 1gig (more) of expensive memory... I'd like to not spend any more money on the thing for a coupla years. Any general advice would be appreciated - not just with the board.

Tightening RAM timings might help just a little. Increasing the processor multiplier would also. (depends for both though)

No, the FSB can not be raised on every motherboard. Some have locks and whatnot on them so you cannot change what it is set to. I am not very familiar with that motherboard, but it is a K8N, so it seems to me that you should be able to up the FSB a little bit if you want. Not sure though.

Is there a certain way I can find out if there is a "lock" on it and/or how volatile the process would be if it were possible?

Volatile? Do you mean how permanent the process is? It isn't permanent. It'll save your changes, but if you wish to change them back, you may do so.

As for telling if there is a lock... just tamper with it and see if it'll let you change the FSB. Use the + and - keys on the numpad if you can't select with enter. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Wayniac said:
Volatile? Do you mean how permanent the process is? It isn't permanent. It'll save your changes, but if you wish to change them back, you may do so.

As for telling if there is a lock... just tamper with it and see if it'll let you change the FSB. Use the + and - keys on the numpad if you can't select with enter. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Sorry, I meant touchy/dangerous. Like would I have as much trouble changing the speeds on that as opposed to overclocking a cpu or something, but no matter... I don't care much anymore!! Thanks anyway.

I know you don't care, but to answer your question, in my experience, RAM has been fairly touchy, but not too touchy. Just run memtest86+ and see if it is stable. Then tighten one timing, and run memtest86+ again. My RAM is at 210 MHz with timings of 2.5-3-3-7 at 1T even though it is supposed to be 3-4-4-8 at 2T (what newegg said anyway) at 200 MHz and only 2.5-3-3-7 at 166 MHz. It is stable though, so I'm leaving it with the tighter faster timings.

The only 'lock' to be concerned about when raising the FSB is that the AGP port needs to be locked (of course this only applies to socket 754 boards or nf3 socket 939 boards, nf4 = PCI-E so there isn't the same thing to worry about)

You need to have the option to lock the AGP at 66MHz.....however on the NF3 boards it's not uncommon to lock it at 67Mhz as I've noticed it helps to alleviate some freeze up problems with the NF3 chipset and 6800 cards.

Also the SATA ports have to be locked, but that's nothing you can set within the BIOS...they have to come prelocked by the board maker

It's 66.6 rounded to 67 me thinks

Yeah your board is pretty easy to overclock, and half decent at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom