Motherboard capability question...

Supernickdude

Solid State Member
Ok well I am building a new computer and I am like 100% new to this so bear with me... I purchased a

asus a7v333 motherboard after being told it had 333fsb.... well I went and looked at the specs on the motherboard and it says 266 max fsb.. but then if you check the Via chipset it says that it supports 333 fsb athlon xp processors on one of the graphs....

so basically will my motherboard support my athlon xp 3000 (333 fsb) processor?

does it go by the motherboard's specs or the chipset's specs that show it does support the 333 fsb processor.... Im so confused.....

thank you for your patience! I apologize if this is in the wrong thread!

Bad start,you need a compatible case and power suppy first.
But just between you and me and i hate to suggest it,
Buy a Package system that does all this for you.
Why did you think buying a motherboard was where to start ?
Meanwhile what do you have now,coz you must have learned what needs upgradeing,right ?
;)

I have a compatible case and power supply.... I have a pentium 3 in a compaq, I cant upgrade it last time I checked ( compaqs have special mb's that arent standard so it probably wouldnt even be worth it ) or that's what I've heard....

(don't mean to sound snotty, thanks for the help! you're right I probably would have been easier to buy a package but I want the cheapest I can get.. )

but ya, I have taken care of the case and psu... so ya, will my mb work?

Supernickdude said:
I have a compatible case and power supply.... I have a pentium 3 in a compaq, I cant upgrade it last time I checked ( compaqs have special mb's that arent standard so it probably wouldnt even be worth it ) or that's what I've heard....

(don't mean to sound snotty, thanks for the help! you're right I probably would have been easier to buy a package but I want the cheapest I can get.. )

but ya, I have taken care of the case and psu... so ya, will my mb work?
Well where i live in a big city this is easy.
By a package i mean an upgrade package.
New case,power supply and mbd.
They are advertised here on a regulare basis.
Just plug in the leftovers.
But if you live in the jungle or on a farmers field than i can't add more.

What I meant is... ya besides just buying a whole new computer this one is not upgradeable... so i am buying a whole new computer and using the guts from my old one... keyboard,mouse, 64 mb vid card until I get a new one, NIC, hdd's, cd drive....

I have... a new case, psu, mb, and I am asking about compatibility with my processor and such...

thank you for helping...

Okay if it doesnt support 333 fsb and if you have the CPU you still will be fine.

The CPU wont be nearly as fast but it will run fast enough. I thought my mobo had 400mhz fsb. But turns out that was just the RAM. it only had 333 fsb. So when i got my 3200+ i overclocked the FSB up to 400mhz and as far as 425.

You shoulb be able to overclock the FSB and have these works. Make sure you have ram that supports 333 or pc2700 ddr ram and that you have proper cooling on your northbridge.

AND just know things tend to run more unstablily when overcloked. I ended up getting a 3000+ and ditching the 3200+ to my friend for a trade.

Thank you so much ! that's exactly what I was looking for airiox! thanks! I guess I'll live with the lower speeds until I have the $$ to just buy a new mb...

thanks aton!

Back
Top Bottom