Motherboard broken yes/no?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
I was convinced my motherboard was dead, but decided to plug it in with a PSU i know for sure works (i took it straight from my other fully working system).

Unlike the other PSU it was on, which showed nothing, on this one the green LED lights up on the board. However, when i press the power button on the case (which is all hooked up correctly), nothing happens.

What does the green LED actually represent? Should i be excited or is this still a dead board?

Oh, the board is an Asus A8N-E for reference.

Any help appreciated.

try shorting the power jumper that your motherboard manual says is to switch on your motherboard,

short it with a screw driver jus touch 1 of them then touch the other while still on the first 1,

i find a fair size flat head with rubber handle works best jus incase

If the motherboard doesn't power on with the power button, being plugged correctly, the motherboard is fried.

I suspect that lhuser has probably got the right idea, considering i'm almost entirely sure i've wired it all perfectly.

However, i do want to try this short circuiting ssc456 mentioned as i've heard it's worked for a few people, though doesn't this only indicate the power supply is broken?

Can you give me a little more detail on how to do this. Sorry, i'm not terribly good with electronics and don't quite understand.

You use a screw driver and you touch the two pins for the power button.

If that doesn't work, it's your mobo, or maybe your PSU.

Usually, a LED ligting when the PC is off mostly indicates a dead board.

The best way to test the motherboard is to remove it from the case and place it on an anti static mat. Install only the memory, CPU, and video card. This will eliminate any chances of it shorting out on the case somewhere. The green LED on the board is indicating that it is connected properly and receiving power from the PSU.

Oh yeah, the DEBUG mode I call it. It actually sorted me out that the HP case was the fault of the system I installed. I'd try that, just in case.

Hey, tried short circuiting it with just the motherboard and also with CPU, RAM, GPU put in. Completely nothing both times expect the green LED on the board stays on.

R.I.P??

Back
Top Bottom