motherboard and cpu upgrade

bL4cKh4T

Baseband Member
hey, i'm wanting to upgrade my cpu. i have a gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 motherboard and it can only take 95w cpu's which limits me on what i can buy. how can i find out what motherboard i can upgrade to that's still compatible with the cpu i have now, (amd fx6300 socket am3+) but that i can upgrade it more later? the reason why i asked for a board that's still compatible is that i want to buy the board now and then when i get enough money again, then buy the cpu. thanks in advance for the help!

You'll be wasting your money going with that route, because that system is getting too old. Just save up to get an AM4 board and a Ryzen cpu. I mean you can get a cheap Ryzen 3200 chip for under $100. and then later get a good video card and a Ryzen 9 or 7 series cpu, and go with this type of upgrade path

A cheap way you can do is to buy a cpu on ebay to upgrade your current board, Here's a list for your specific board, and it does list 125w cpu's too. Of course with a 125w cpu you'll most likely need a better heatsink than that stock one for the fx6300 chip. Personally I think the older Phenom II X4 ran better than the fx6300 cpu
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Last edited:
Heck, even a B350/B450 board and a 1600/2600 would be a HUGE upgrade, bud. I went from a FX8320 to a Ryzen 1600 and was blown away. Going from the 1600 to the 3600X wasn't as big a jump but still nice.

Back
Top Bottom