mother + cpu frying

ukeitaro

Baseband Member
if i fried my motherboard by static shock while my cpu was on it, does that mean the cpu is fried also? I'm not 100% positive that my motherboard is fried, but it wont boot up anymore after i took it out of the case and put it back in. Is there an absolute test to determine if the motherboard or cpu is fried such as using a voltmeter? how would u use a voltmeter, or whatever?

thx for the help

there is no sure way to my knowledge to check if they are fried. if you fired your MOBO by static i doupt it would have fried the CPU. if it got fried by a power serge then it probably took the CPU with it.

i dont think that it fried from the power surge b/c it would boot up before i took it out of the case. but then i noticed that one of the corners of the socket for the cpu heatsink/fan was loose, so i tried to push it back in to no avail. so then i placed it back into the case, and now it wont boot.
Before taking it out, i was testing my friend's old agp video card on my mobo. With this new video card, there was no output on my very old crappy monitor, but the computer did boot up. One strange thing is that i could not shut down the computer with the power switch anymore so i had to shut it off by turning off the power surge. After booting it up again, the comp would sporadically reboot itself whenever. So i took out the agp video card and put back my old pci card. The comp then returned back to normal with monitor output. so i thought all this was weird and retried the agp video card by replacing the pci again. and the same thing happened so i took out the mobo out, not knowing what i could do. and this is where i started on the first paragraph.

So your computer runs fine with the pci video card and not the apg?

what are your pc specs?

mainly the motherboard and the 2 video cards

Thanks

my specs

my motherboard is an intel d845pt. http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845pt/sb/cs-013206.htm

my cpu is 2.4 ghz 400 mhz

my pci card is an antique video card, lol (the biomed lab i'm working in was throwing some parts away, so that's how i got that decent mobo but unfortunately could only get a crappy video card). i'm not sure what the specs are for it, but there are two main chips on it:
1.) "tvp 3026" http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tvp3026.html and
2.) "matrox mga power graphics Is-storm r2 9546eu"

my agp card is a geforce ti4600 128 mb, i think made by visiontek? i'm not sure.

my mobo competely does not work anymore after i took it out, but it did work with the pci video card before i took it out (but not with the agp)

Back
Top Bottom