More Proof

to support my theroy that vram is the single most over rated thing in the computer industry.
18.png

its from the 8800GTS 512MB bench article but look at the FPS on the 320mb vs the 640mb. without AA\AF.

a measly .3 FPS increase at 1600x1200. thats the equalivlent of 1680x1050 for wide screens.

49.png

even higher resoultion and the 320mb stand up to the challenege as long as there is no AA\AF, tomshardware might not have tested that though...

Conclusion:
unless you really care about filtering than the following people IMO got ripped off (all people with 640mb GTS's)

Kage
Celegorm

Congrats to people who bought the 320MB version

Rudster816
MattieDaShark83
Cabbspapp

ill add you if you got one of the cards :p those are off the top of my head

It takes time for developers to fully utilize hardware.

As for citing only Tom's Hardware, thats just poor reporting. Try collecting data from other sites like AnandTech, X-Bit Labs etc, then I might believe you.

well yeah, vram is a bit over rated.
Good for filtering & high resolution but to be honest I don't think it's worth it. Like for example the 1gb version of the 8800... no point since if you would happen to find a game that would need all that vram then the gpu would be way too slow for that game.

Haha, it was only an extra £50 anyway, and I did originally buy a 320mb but switched to a 640mb :p
I thoguht, since I had a new computer, why not stock it up with some of the best pieces of kit, so I did.
I didn't know at the time wheather the card would do well anyway in new games, but its proving its self worthy still.

well yeah, vram is a bit over rated.
Good for filtering & high resolution but to be honest I don't think it's worth it. Like for example the 1gb version of the 8800... no point since if you would happen to find a game that would need all that vram then the gpu would be way too slow for that game.

not even high resolution, even at 1920x1568 or something like that on UT3 the 320mb version stacked up just as well.

@kage
that 50 pounds could have bought better things :D might come in handy in the LONG term but i doubt youll have the card that long

I probably won't bother switching for another 1/2 to a year. It runs Crysis pretty much okay for me, so I doubt for the next 6 months or so, theres going to be a game to push it harder than that, but we'll see :p

Companies put in extra VRAM as a marketing stunt, to make people think their card is great. Why? Because the VRAM is the first thing people will see when they see the model details - so if it's high up, they sub-conciously think the rest of the card is great.

VRAM is so cheap to make, companies sacrifice a few dollars just to make people want to buy it more. The price to demand ratio is what they play at.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom