More gears have been grinded.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
I'm sure everybody here may or may not have one of these friends and I hate to talk bad about him but man this gets annoying.

Just got a brand new 680 4GB FTW+ and was having some problems with it and immediately was sending me texts *****ing about how he doesn't have time for "this ********". Naturally, I merely mention did you uninstall drivers, did you revert to stock CPU, yada yada. He isn't computer retarded in the least so I shouldn't have to tell him this but did anyways. Apparently his computer was giving him blue screens and wouldn't boot with the new 680. He then said after uninstalling the beta drivers here was using with his 580 it booted fine but his keyboard wouldn't work. So I asked, did you unplug it and plug it in a different port? He said no. Then was *****ing about how his keyboard didn't work and had to use a different one to install. I then say again, humor me, just plug it into a different port. Didn't get a reply back.
Few hours later he apparently got everything working and was doing 3dmark runs with his new card. When I met up with him he was complaining how it was ridiculous that he had to plug his keyboard into a USB3 port to make it work. Oh gee, that means plugging it into another port worked! :rolleyes:

Last night I was getting texts again. He was overclocking or whatever and then started hitting blue screens again. He was then saying how his Windows install was mysteriously corrupted and how he was doing a fresh install. All the while complaining about "****ty Nvidia drivers" yet the codes had nothing to do with graphics drivers. He then was complaining about how Windows was giving an error when he tried installing to his SSD. He had this problem last time so I asked the usual, did you unplug your 3TB drive, is your CPU stock, ect. He said his SSD was alone this time and that it was giving off a different error. Then I said you updated the firmware and that could have caused problems. He then denied updating the firmware so I forwarded the text of him saying how "Samsung released a firmware which apparently speeds this drive up so I went ahead and updated it". He goes oh yea, I did the SSD not the card......I obviously wasn't talking about the card. He then says yea it's looking like it is the SSD after all, man this thing is turning into a money pit....

:SeriouslyChan:

This is the same guy who sold a pair of 580 Classifieds to get funds for a 690 then wound up trading 580s with me and said that was fine. Then decided no he wants a 680 and will be buying another one in July. He was then complaining how he didn't have time to deal with computer nonsnese. This makes no sense, an RMA is the cost of shipping and he doesn't need another 680 at all.
This same guy pretty much makes his own schedule and works way more than he should for no reason AND always has time to run 3dmark runs.

So the bottom of this ends in me saying, I absolutely hate people who run into minor problems after ****ing with too much **** and then ***** when they have to do a little bit of troubleshooting. Yet they have all the time in the world to watch 3dmark runs which do absolutely nothing. It bugs me to no end how people are so easily ready to get all ****ed off when everybody knows when you deal with PCs this is bound to happen. Especially if you change hardware as much as you change socks.

Heh, I into a few frustrating issues when I installed my 690 the first go around. I actually ended up having to update the motherboard bios for the 690 to be seen. Then over last weekend I put the new machine together only to find out that I had brought the wrong win8 dvd home from work and inadvertantly installed enterprise which I had no key for, and windows 8 basically makes any previous windows installs no longer work. Frustration is just part of the territory, that's why I always drink heavily while working on my new machines :)

Oh, and back to my surround set up, I got my replacement dell monitor Tuesday and got around to installing it yesterday, so I had 2 identical u3011s and my u3008, and still got the crap about how the monitors aren't similar enough to use nvidia surround. Huzzah, luckily my 3 monitor stand will be here Monday and my RMA'd 6970s will be here today. Just gotta run that 3dmark, take my first place back and then sell the 690 :p

If you are running 2D Surround it should work, considering that all 3 LCDs share the same res and refresh. Probably just have them plugged in wrong. Model number doesn't matter as long as the specs are the same, which in that case they are.

Can't believe you're going to be using 8 to bench with. It uses more RAM than 7.

BTW nice screens. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 690 choked on 1600p Surround due to only having 2GB per GPU.

Last edited:
Ever since I started my IT Support job i'd just be really happy to be talking to someone who knows what a blue screen is, a driver, and a usb port.

He may seem incompetent but work on a IT desktop support role for a week and you will find out how REALLY DAMN RETARDED some people are.

Most common one is "my whole pc has frozen". Everytime it's always "my entire" or "everything" or "my whole pc", they are never specific. You get and there and one thing won't be working such as email may have frozen. It just irritates me, how hard is it to test if another program is working ?

Sorry PP this is going to turn into an IT user rant thread if I havn't already made it one.

Last edited:
Ever since I started my IT Support job i'd just be really happy to be talking to someone who knows what a blue screen is, a driver, and a usb port.

He may seem incompetent but work on a IT desktop support role for a week and you will find out how REALLY DAMN RETARDED some people are.

Most common one is "my whole pc has frozen". Everytime it's always "my entire" or "everything" or "my whole pc", they are never specific. You get and there and one thing won't be working such as email may have frozen. It just irritates me, how hard is it to test if another program is working ?

Sorry PP this is going to turn into an IT user rant thread if I havn't already made it one.

Had anybody calling their tower "the hard drive" yet? That one always irks me.

No no no, that's the deal. He isn't incompetent. He knows exactly what he's doing, he just does retarded things sometimes. Like he did a low level format via DOS on his brand new Samsung 840. AFTER he updated the firmware. This guy can read dump files which most people who even post here don't know how to do. He is also a Sr Support Analyst, supervisor, and Tech 3 support for NCR and knows practically all of their systems. He is one smart dude, but geez.

My actual rant isn't about the troubleshooting, it's about the "this thing is turning into a money pit", "I'm getting sick of this BS", "this damn computer is nonsense", "Nvidia drivers are ****!" (when it wasn't graphics), "I don't have time for this", and all that. Bottom line, he wont spend 10 minutes to troubleshoot and will automatically throw a fit blaming every damn thing in his computer but is super fine with blowing 20-45 minutes watching 3dmark loop on his PC after overclocking 100MHz at a time. That's my deal. What makes it worse, is I get the temper tantrum texts and tell him exactly what his problem his but he has started not listening to me....

Yeah, thats incompetence. Don't care what his title is or what he does, if he doesn't even troubleshoot properly as someone in IT, he is incompetent. It's a basic skill.

Had anybody calling their tower "the hard drive" yet? That one always irks me.

I've not actually had that one. Most people I speak to are on the level that you have to explain to them the tower is "the big box". Shockingly, some people didn't even realise it was under the desk. PC's don't get turned off at my work because it's a 24/7 operation so a lot of people just think stuff magically apears on the screen and that their cables vanish off into a magical world under their desk.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats incompetence. Don't care what his title is or what he does, if he doesn't even troubleshoot properly as someone in IT, he is incompetent. It's a basic skill.

I've not actually had that one. Most people I speak to are on the level that you have to explain to them the tower is "the big box". Shockingly, some people didn't even realise it was under the desk. PC's don't get turned off at my work because it's a 24/7 operation so a lot of people just think stuff magically apears on the screen and that their cables vanish off into a magical world under their desk.
Then you obviously don't know the definition of the word. He has the ability, he is just too lazy to do it on his own machine. The guy is a beast at what he does at work which like I said, goes right along with the point of my rant.

He *****es about actually doing proper troubleshooting on his machine but has no problem wasting a bunch of time running benches.

If he was incompetent he wouldn't be able to perform the tasks to begin with, hence his titles. He obviously can do it, he just *****es about doing it on his own machine claiming it's "wasting his time" like I said before.

I know what the word means. I understand he has the skills. But if he doesn't use them, that is as good as not having them at all. What is the difference between someone that is really good at something but doesn't do it, and someone that isn't good at something so doesn't do it either ? they both have the same outcome.

He sounds like a bit of an annoying ****.

Back
Top Bottom