More expensive to go to Uni abroad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I've always been interested in moving to the US to do Computer Science at University, or whatever you call a university over there :p

But i was never sure if it would cost a lot more or if the price would be similar ? Ignoring the flights out there.

Are you actually joking ? :eek:

I don't care where i live. As long as i can get to the uni in a 30minute walk, is it any cheeper if i do it that way, like, live further away ?

My sisters course is £32k for 4 years.

Cost varies, there's probably some form of financial aid for abroad students. Each college is different, can't say whether it costs much more or less. You can check out the University of Minnesota, for example. They'll list their costs including things like a dorm room, meal plan, transportation costs, fees, random living expenses, etc. but in reality the tuition is much cheaper and the rest is just an estimate.

Depends on where you go. State run universities tend to be cheaper than private ones, but private ones tend to be better, and more progressive with their regulations. By progressive I mean they aren't all tight *** government workers :p

Here at UK (university of Kentucky) its about $19k tuition, but its going up because the state is out of money. Soon enough they will be charging us the same for a private college. Makes you ask why you went to a state university to begin with.

Foreign students always get raped on for fees I was considering going to the US for a long time but after writing letters to a few uni's I gave up as the costs were going to be very high.

Hmm, well fortunately i have quite alot of inheritted money that i was going to use to enjoy life when i get to 18 :p But, i could use it to help fund Uni in the US.

Contact a few colleges that sound good to you and see what they can offer you. You never know until you try. You might be eligible for special scholarships because you are studying abroad, or even able to take part in an exchange program.

I have well off parents so they were prepared to fund me but I could gain an equally good qualification from a British uni and it would be cheaper all round plus if you go out of the country for 5 years your student loan becomes invalidated.

Also if you do an American university course you will be stuck to American speaking countries mainly (not so apparent in IT I would imagine). The Americans have a habit of making up terms which go against the established global norm and there technical reports are like a completely different language. My dad has been a managing director of several companies over the last 20 years and recently became an MD for a large american firm. He says that the reports he is sent are so difficult to read that he has to chuck them to his gf (she did business management at an American Uni) to translate so that he can then read them.

Look into one year away programs with student exchange to the US

I'm not going for the education, i can get a very good one here ;)

But i want to experience america for a few years, to see if i want to move when i'm older (I am not living in this crap hole of a country, the UK) . I figured this was the best way to do it, but yeh thanks i will have a look around at prices and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom