monitor time bomb? / New Monitor ideas?

Re: monitor time bomb?

that monitor doesnt sound like its gona last much longer, i think u would be better off getting a brand name crt, i have a veiwsonic right now and its great, check them out

MikeReiner said:
.....burnt image...
thats a very bad sign, the CRT might be damaged badly...
When an imagine is displayed on a CRT for long periods of time, it can burn a copy of the image into the screen...

screen savers were invented for this reason, thus the name 'Screen Saver'

I have had this happen before to a monitor.

I saw one at school. Proof they don't care about their stuff...

Kage, I had the same problem with a school one. It came black and grey. It lost all its colors. That is due to two blown cone colors. Change it, it is useless.

Yep, some of our school monitors will screw up like that. And, before long, they're just not there any more...

In our school, they're there forever. They keep the comps all for like 3 years, non stop...

If you were not so bloody far away I say come over and get one of mine. I have a 17 and a 19 I'm not using.
Now as far as the double image and the yellow tint it could be the high voltage section is going. Low gun voltages will do what you describe also. But a sharp blow to the monitor will do the same thing. It throws the focus coil out of line. Either way it's not cost effective to repair them. Scout a repair shop for deals on monitors people have traded in. In US dollars a 13 to 17 in good shape should be around $25.00. A 19 should be around $30.00 to $40.00 while a 21 should be around $50.00. A shop over near where I live sells the Nokia like I have for 50 bucks. In mint shape.
The 17 weights in at 18lbs while the 19 is a hefty 25lbs. And just so you don't go to get a 21 alone the Nokia I have tops the scale at 78lbs.

Yeah it sounds as if the monitor is on the way out, I had the same thing with mine, where the colour was always purplish, and it would flicker. Mine was like that for about 6 months but it never blew up.

You can get CRT monitors dirt cheap these days, I picked up the two 17" I have in a computer fair, and it costs me £40 for the two, if I get a years use out of them (coming up to 9 months now) then I have no complaint, just waiting for the TFT or LCD ones to drop down in price a little then its gonna be the two 21" widescreen........heh!!

I would say buy a new one you can get CRTs for really cheap.

Wow, thanks for that. I may do that :D

EDIT:

My dads been saying about getting a digital screen this time around, but still 17 inch, and on a DVI interface. How much better would it be than a CRT? Note that its bound to be better than how the monitor is now :p

This is the one were looking at, and thinking of splitting the money 3 ways. About £50 each:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Produc.../ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11011&GroupID=420

Any good?

If not or you have a better one, what else can I get for the price? (£150)

*Bump*

I'm sorry about that, but I didn't want to create another thread on the same subject ^ :)

Back
Top Bottom