Monitor the temperature of the computer in the garage?

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
I've got a computer in the garage hooked up -via WIFI - to my network.

Is there any way I can sit at the computer upstairs and monitor the temperature of the computer in the garage?

you could use a remote access client like logmein and just remote into it and run speedfan on the compute in the garage... I don't know of any other programs that will show temps of another computer on yours

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

You basically download it to your comp in your garage, set it up with a password and whatnot... then from your computer upstairs go to www.logmein.com and log in to your other comp... sorry if thats a little confusing

Depending on the operating system you are using, you may be able to remote into it from another computer on your network. I know it works with XP pro, and Vista Ultimate. My current computer is only a few week old, running Vista Ultimate. My old computer is running XP pro. I don't really like using KVM switches to switch back and forth between computers. So, I just plugged my old computer into the network and AC power and remote into it from my new computer. No extra software needed.

Depending on the operating system you are using, you may be able to remote into it from another computer on your network. I know it works with XP pro, and Vista Ultimate. My current computer is only a few week old, running Vista Ultimate. My old computer is running XP pro. I don't really like using KVM switches to switch back and forth between computers. So, I just plugged my old computer into the network and AC power and remote into it from my new computer. No extra software needed.

This is what i'd like to do.

How do I control the other computer remotely over a wireless network?

EDIT:

Reading up on it now...

Done it!

Cool! I love to remote into my fast desktop upstairs with my old notebook computer, while I'm downstars, where it is cooler in the summer.

I'm just thinking how good it is security-wise?

The main computer is wired to the router. The computer in the garage is connected via WIFI.

I know the router has a firewall on it - NETGEAR WNR2000 - but how secure is the network and can it or the remote desktop be hacked?

I'm just thinking how good it is security-wise?

Remote desktop is based on terminal services, so unless you need extreme security I think it is just fine. There are a few things you and do to make it more secure. You can limit who's able to log-on. I think it allows anyone with an account on the computer to log-on to remote desktop by default. Also, you can apparently enable encryption. Here is some reading material:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows_Terminal_Services.html

Back
Top Bottom