Mom Dies Attempting to Win a Wii

Gatorade = Sugar + Water + Coloring. ;) If you want real energy, drink Accelerade or Endurox.

Anyways, the station fired 10 employees that were involved with the contest.

SacBee.com said:
Ten employees of The End (KDND, 107.9 FM) were fired Tuesday and the "Morning Rave" morning radio show has been cancelled in wake of a water-drinking contest Friday that left a Rancho Cordova woman ill hours before she died, apparently of water intoxication.

Jennifer Lea Strange, 28, drank one and three-quarters of a gallon of water - according to another contestant - Friday morning during a "Hold your Wee for a Wii" contest in which competitors had to drink as much water as they could without going to the bathroom for a Nintendo game system.

Strange is a mother of three childrens, ages 11 months, 3 and 10. Her family has maintained public silence about the death, save for a prepared statement attesting to Strange's kindness and dedication as a mother.

Monday afternoon, a spokesman for the radio station said that the station had suspended the morning show pending an internal investigation.

Read the rest HERE.

mayorredbeard said:
Did her kids get the Wii?
salt, wound, rub...

I can't imagine that they wouldn't give the kids one, but it would be taking the piss a little wouldn't it!!

I mean how exactly do you make up for causeing the circumstances of someones death?

I can imagine how the meeting that thought up this conversation went, some guy said hey lets have a hold your wee to win a wii contest, it'll be great, loads of publicity for the station, everyone probably laughed and agreed.
I mean the outcome wasn't planned, but whoever thought it up is probably in a whole world of trouble at the station, and they probably feel really bad about it too.

I think everyone has had ideas that seemed great at the time but turned out really bad!

root said:
I think everyone has had ideas that seemed great at the time but turned out really bad!
See my post [37]
Anyone else heard of some contests going horribly wrong?

Whoa, two rep points for my comment here, thanks guys, but give some to others as well, several sensible, sensitive comments were made, if any useless ones were made, don't be tempted to give out neg points, one or two wear them like medals, sort of "look at me, I'm really nasty"

root said:
salt, wound, rub...

I can't imagine that they wouldn't give the kids one, but it would be taking the piss a little wouldn't it!!

I mean how exactly do you make up for causeing the circumstances of someones death?

I can imagine how the meeting that thought up this conversation went, some guy said hey lets have a hold your wee to win a wii contest, it'll be great, loads of publicity for the station, everyone probably laughed and agreed.
I mean the outcome wasn't planned, but whoever thought it up is probably in a whole world of trouble at the station, and they probably feel really bad about it too.

Exactly. Giving the family a Wii anyways would just seem kinda messed up...compensating for someone's death is a pretty hard thing to do.

alvino said:
Giving the family a Wii anyways would just seem kinda messed up.
Yes, knowing that one of those cost their wife's/mother's life would have been too much for them, probably put in in the backyard & destroy it with axes, irrational, yes, but it would feel good, being able to take it out on something impersonal, imagining it was the guy who thought up the competition idea.

Back
Top Bottom