Modifying a Zalman CNPS-Series HSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Just found this. Complete awesomeness, as far as I'm concerned. The stock fans are actually pretty loud on these HSF's. You can get a Nexus 92mm fan that's quieter on 12v than the Zalman is on 5v!

Here's a clip from the thread I found...:

I cut the entire case away from the fan hub and just left enough of two cross pieces so I could use that to mount the fan:

Zal_Nex_03.jpg

I had nightmares about the fan falling off of the heatsink while it was running so I couldn't bring myself to tape or tie it into place. I drilled the hole pattern in the stubs so I could use some small sheetmetal screws to attach it to the Zalman mouning bracket. I then stuck some silicon washers onto the fan hub to decouple the fan from the metal bracket once I assembled it:

Zal_Nex_04.jpg

I fastened the fan to the bracket useing some more silicon washers to decouple the screws fron the metal bracket:

Zal_Nex_05.jpg

Fini:

Zal_Nex_06.jpg

First thing I'm doing tomorrow is ordering a good 92mm fan, and modding mine. I'm addicted to modding my computer to absolute silence.

Credit to Ralf Hutter of SilentPCReview.com

If you want the closest to 100% absolute silence, drop the fans and go watercooling. But, it's a bit more complicated than that. :p

From what I've seen/heard, watercooling is too much of a mess, hassle, and expense to me. I just like modding things myself to quiet my computer for next to nothing.

I've got all empty drive bays in my case lined off with riveted cardboard, all stray holes taped over for one direct airflow path, homemade dust filters from packaging foam, fan grills dremeled out, and a bunch of other stuff I've done/going to do in my spare time.

WorldIndustries said:
From what I've seen/heard, watercooling is too much of a mess, hassle, and expense to me. I just like modding things myself to quiet my computer for next to nothing.

I've got all empty drive bays in my case lined off with riveted cardboard, all stray holes taped over for one direct airflow path, homemade dust filters from packaging foam, fan grills dremeled out, and a bunch of other stuff I've done/going to do in my spare time.

Honestly, watercooling is a big hassle. It takes lots of research until you know even where to start when it comes to watercooling. Even when you know what you're doing, something could go wrong and make it more of a hassle (ie. fried mobo). Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be fine. :)

You guys do have to remeber that with watercooling you still have a pump and a fan on the rad. It's not AS quiet as you think.

reggie_da_man said:
You guys do have to remeber that with watercooling you still have a pump and a fan on the rad. It's not AS quiet as you think.

I'd take a pump + rad fan (1x120mm) over 6 case fans, though.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. Actually, I've seen some watercooling setups with two fans. Which would actually be louder than a single fan on an HSF.

I'm thinking the only way to have absolute silence would be passive conduction cooling, with a very, very large heatsink made of extremely heat-conductive material (like silver)?

Edit: And I've researched that two fans in the back of a PC case is actually LESS efficient than one. More fans doesn't mean better cooling, but good airflow does.

Well for total case cooling I'd take watercooling...that's why I have watercooling. Oh and BTW copper is a ver good conductor of heat.

there are some water cooling systems that do not require a fan on the radiator, so it is totally silent save for some pump vibrations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom