Mobo speaker - reasons to get one :P

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
well, these last couple days i've been working in a local IT shop with some friendly local guys my dad knows, Doing the usual building, repairing, wipe and loads and stuff. An order came through for some local businessman who wanted a big PC for his office, stating he wanted 8GB RAM and a higher end i7. We got 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 and the i7 860 for the build. Put everything together and nothing was on the screen when it was turned on, so (wrongfully, it turned out) we assumed it wasn't posting, since we didnt have a speaker to know whether it was or not. So, we spent the latter half of yesterday and several hours this morning troubleshooting components, trying new PSUs and different RAM and CPUs (i5s and i7s from other half built rigs). In the end it was starting to look like a dead board, so we ordered a new board. We had all the same problems with the new board so we did some research in more detail on what we were looking at.

turns out, for some reason, the BIOS on the motherboards was set to use DVI output by default, and the VGA we had been using wasn't configured. We essentially wasted several hours and the price of a new mobo, all because we didn't have a speaker to hear whether or not it was POSTing :D

Yeah, a mobo speaker helps out a lot. Just too bad not all mobos (like mine) supports them. Though, I think almost all of the newer one supports them right?

I dont understand why they arent built into tit, would seem like that would make more sense.

My friend refuses to put his in.. but he is an idiot.

Mine has one - I don't know if it went dead, blew out or what. I wish it worked. Problem - it's soldered into the board, and I don't want to take my chances. I consider myself a skilled solderer, but I just don't want to risk it.

There also handy to warn you if a fan happends to die and when the system is too hot.

..And what is DosBox without a proper motherboard speaker ;)

Back
Top Bottom