Mobo ethernet port

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
When I plug a cat5 ethernet cable into my motherboard from the modem, the lights on the port come on but my computer doesnt recognize the modem.

I have tried everything that my isp manual says to do. I have called my isp and they have no clue. They say that my modem is connected to their server so it has to be my computer.

Do you think this is a problem that I can fix or would you say it is a hardware problem that I can't fix?

make sure you have DHCP enabled and arent using the defualt IP windows provides you with. Please try that and also try disconnecting the modem from the jack and then hooking it up again!

Yes, I have done all of that already. DHCP is enabled and I set it to automatically obtain an ip adress from my ISP.

*edit*
forgot to mention that i am currently connected to the modem through USB and it works fine. It wont recognize the modem when i use ethernet

it must be there end that happens to me too. wait approx. 1 hour and try to reeobtain an IP. if not please callt ehm up and try to get them to resend DHCP request!

I am sure that will not work, I have had my computer for a year and ethernet has never worked. Everything people have recomended me to do.....does not work.

That is why I was thinking it is a hardware problem.

possbily so. are the drivers up to date and TCP/IP settings correct?

if they are it most liekly is a hardware problem.

NICs arent that expensive so they are esiliy replaceable!

Well, I haven't "made it" yet. I still need to take the certification exam. I took it in high school and my neighbor (teaches net+, ccnp and other comp classes at a college) told me that when he teached it in high school a year ago, he didnt have enough time to teach everything with the type of schedualing. So I am going to wait till I have some free time to study mad.

cool! problem is cisco's going downhill. I knwo lots fo company secrets!!!

bechya didnt know cisco invests more into charities than the development and research fo their Internetworking Operating System!!!??

they also have more interest in littel kidie schools and stuff liek that to donate routers too than actual companies who neeed connected! thats true!

yah its good to do that. but is like lots of major companies do.. jsut PR.

they are more worried about thier image then makign teh IOS better and redusicn thier prices. they are reducuolus

an old 2600 series router is still several thousand round 5 grand on cdw.com and its been out for more then 8 years!!! in fact I think 10!!!

I have several more gripes but ive got a headache

Back
Top Bottom