Mix and Mastering help...

religion2386

In Runtime
Whats a good program to use to mix and master, or at least attempt to? I just use Audacity to record from and everything and it sounds fine until I burn it to a disk. Then its like the vocals need to be turned up. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

There's no right or wrong way to mix and master your work.

But it helps if you have a good monitoring set-up. I check my mixes on my main monitors, headphones, test my mixes in mono on a grot box and on a TV. The idea is that my mixes are universal.

Mixing and mastering is different process. By your description what you need to do is engineer your work. Which involves mixing the tracks into a musically satisfying form. And that means getting the vocal 'out there'. But that doesn't mean just turning the vocal track up.

Try making room in the track for vocals. Use surgical EQ'ing. to make way for the vocals and glue the mix with some effect processing.

Or work on the vocals alone. Get them sounding right, airy. Add a touch of reverb to the vocals not to much though. They need to be tight.

When I engineer my tracks I use all kinds of plug-ins. I suggest you try iZotope Ozone 4 or T-RackS 3. Their both great mastering plug-in that I use on some stuff. Also see if you can try Cockos Reaper to mix in and use your plug-ins with. I've just started to use it together with the others I have and I love it.

Thanks for sending me some of your work. Keep it up. Just spend time getting the recordings done properly then the mixing and engineering become easy.

You can adjust the track volumes in Audacity.

bleh.png

Just Import Each Recorded File (Drums,Guitars,Bass,etc,etc) as tracks in audacity and then adjust the volumes to you liking.

Not as easy as that.

I wish it was that easy but it isn't.

@ OP. Read up on some mix engineers articles to get an idea on engineering a track. You'll get some sweeteners and you'll also find that many of the big cats out there use some free plug-ins that you can get hold of.

I'm still learning this process, it takes time. But when you get a track 'right' it's like all your girlfriends coming back to you at the same time and proposing to you!

yea I wish it was that easy! :(....I dont really have the time to learn how to do something that complex and complicated. How much would it cost to have it done for me?

Theres studios, in England, that will engineer tracks for un-signed artists for about £150.

Search around for mix engineers in your area and see what they charge.

Also they won't deal with MP3 work. They will tell you what format they want the work in.

I'd love to give it a go if I could get hold of the files @ at least 48Khz/24Bit.

Why isnt it that easy? If you just get the volumes perfect on each track and then save your file?

Or am i missing something? (No Experience recording/mixing.)

Its like making a car.

We all can come up with the designs on paper and make models or our creations and 'maybe' create semi-working models.

But its the mechanical engineer that makes the creations a practical reality. The same with an architect and a building.

The musical engineer is just as important when it comes to music.

Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Robert Orton

Back
Top Bottom