Missing restore points

grummle

Beta member
When I open System Restore it says no restore points have been created (they used to be there, I don't know why they've gone). It says open System Protection but that says there's an unexpected error in the property page.

I tried to run the procedure given in ComputerActive issue 426, entering 'cmd' in the Start box, then in the DOS screen entering 'sfc/scannow' to see if the restore points could be found, but it says 'you must be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility'. I'm logged on as Administrator, but I don't know what a console session is nor how to run one. Help appreciated. :)

I'm running Win 7 Home on a Lenovo all-in-one PC.

Last edited:
Hi Clarence. Thanks for your reply, sorry I've only just got back. I went to the links you suggested. The registry fix didn't help, and unfortunately the Local Group Policy Editor can't be used in Win 7 Home. The configure button in System Properties is still grayed out. Thank you for your help anyhow.

I use Avast antivirus (and Kasperski previously), Malwarebytes and AVG Tuneup Utilities. I don't know if they affect System Restore.

Last edited:
The command prompt in windows 7 doesn't always default to admin level privileges even if your account is an admin. I'd try it again, but when you do the search for "cmd" right click on the result and then select "run as administrator". If you get any user account control pop ups click on through them.

I would like to vouch for Celegorm as I completely agree, and add one other thing.
With Win7 a lot of programs will do that, so treat any program that needs FULL administrator access as though they do not have it, even if it says that they do.

I tried all the links you had all suggested but nothing could resolve the problem. I did a search for error 0x81000203 which was given when I tried to open System Properties. I found a post which said that AVG Tuneup Utilities affected System Properties and System Restore when it is in Turbo mode. I couldn't see a way to turn Turbo mode off so I uninstalled the program. Success! System Restore and System Properties are back. I actually thought I would have to reinstall Win 7, which I didn't want to do obviously. Takes us back to Clarence's post of 24.10 about software.

Very happy now. Thank you all for your help. By the way, you were right about Administrator Privilegies. I right clicked in 'cmd' and ran as administrator, and was able to run the search for corrupted files, though none were found.

Thank you all again.

I tried all the links you had all suggested but nothing could resolve the problem. I did a search for error 0x81000203 which was given when I tried to open System Properties. I found a post which said that AVG Tuneup Utilities affected System Properties and System Restore when it is in Turbo mode. I couldn't see a way to turn Turbo mode off so I uninstalled the program. Success! System Restore and System Properties are back. I actually thought I would have to reinstall Win 7, which I didn't want to do obviously. Takes us back to Clarence's post of 24.10 about software.

Very happy now. Thank you all for your help. By the way, you were right about Administrator Privilegies. I right clicked in 'cmd' and ran as administrator, and was able to run the search for corrupted files, though none were found.

Thank you all again.

To to hear that you found the issue! And thank you for sharing, we'll need to add it to our list of things to check for in the future.

Back
Top Bottom