Mishap with "Open with" and .jar file! (All my Java files open with WinRar now)

Burnt_Poptarts

Beta member
Hello guys,

This is regarding a Java game called Minecraft. I am really frustrated with an issue I am having over something seemingly simple. For a reason (a reason which I won't waste your time with) I chose to open the Minecraft (Java game) .jar file with a different program.

To sum it up, I was trying to reinstall my Java 7update7 because of glitches and incompatabilities in the game. I think I messed up some paths by uninstalling that Java, because I had a bit of an error the first time installing Update 9 Jdk, but eventually got it successfully intalled. Anyways, I used "Open with" on the .jar file to open it with something different.

I don't remember why I did it, but all I know now is that I cannot get it to open with Java for the LIFE of me! As a last resort, I used System Restore to load my settings for yesterday. Apparently System Restore doesn't cover these types of changes, and I'm stilling having this problem.

I've tried fixing it by going back to "Open with", and trying to choose random Java files in the Java program files, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can somebody please help me? I've never had such an issue in my entire life on a computer. I've had viruses give me less trouble than this.

Anyways, thank you so much for reading this, and I hope you can help me. I cannot find any help on this online.

-Adam

P.S. I am sure that the Java is successfully installed on my computer. I can run website Java apps just fine. It is simply these .jar files that open with the wrong program.

Last edited:
Start > Default Programs > Associate File type with program or protocol > Find ".jar" in the list > highlight it > select "Change program..." > navigate to your Java install path > try Java.exe

Back
Top Bottom