Minneapolis bridge collapse

Brookfield

Golden Master
At 2am BST this morning I was seeing the horrific aftermath of this huge disaster, as I understand it 20,000 vehicles a day use this bridge & at the time, the traffic was bumper to bumper on it, any members live nearby?

The death toll at 9am was twenty, & expected to rise sharply, & what a miracle that none of the kids on that school bus were killed!, ITV had a live interview with two of them.

wow, how did it collapse have they said? hopefully most people are all right.
I gather by that that you haven't seen the news coverage, I haven't watched the news for the last hour or so, but it was utter carnage, one driver at least died at the wheel when his car was crushed & caught fire, if you can where you are, go to Google, there's plenty there about it, the Mayor & others were talking live on TV about it, he & the others were obviously distraught, they also interviewed a guy who lives right next to the bridge & said that he walks under it every day, & noticed that for a while now maintenance crews have been drilling large holes right through the structure & you could see daylight through them, so who knows?, that could have been the case of this tragedy.

I gather by that that you haven't seen the news coverage, I haven't watched the news for the last hour or so, but it was utter carnage, one driver at least died at the wheel when his car was crushed & caught fire, if you can where you are, go to Google, there's plenty there about it, the Mayor & others were talking live on TV about it, he & the others were obviously distraught, they also interviewed a guy who lives right next to the bridge & said that he walks under it every day, & noticed that for a while now maintenance crews have been drilling large holes right through the structure & you could see daylight through them, so who knows?, that could have been the case of this tragedy.

our news lags behind the rest :rolleyes:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/08/02/bridge.collapse/?iref=mpstoryview
that posted just 30min. reports only 7 dead

besides if something like this happens i know ill hear about it here. im not a big fan of reading news.

EDIT:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/08/02/bridge.collapse/?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo
thats a video of it falling. you can see exactly where the bridge gives out on the second from. its lagging because the camera was designed that way BTW

EDIT2:
it looks as if the bridge was imploded. maybe the holes wernt the cause of it. maybe to holes were filled with explosives. the collapse was "too perfect". i know thats exactly how you implode a lot of things as well :eek:

I live in Sydney and i saw the images on the news and its simply unbelievable how something so sudden can happen. Those people didnt even know anything about it. RIP to the lost ones.

Wow, I haven't heard of this, but I haven't turned on the TV or anything...
MSN Today doesn't mention anything on Messenger...

I just watched the footage on BBCi and its incredible,total destruction, those kids where very lucky, when you see the cars hanging off the bridge you cant imagine what the victims must have felt like, I only hope most people got out alive but there are still many vehicles trapped under it.

yeah, over 100,000 cars a day, there were 2 school buses on it. both escaped, and about 50 cars went into the water. no word yet on how it collapsed, but there was non structural construction on it, closing both sides down to 1 lane, which probably saved some lives.

oh, and there are news videos on youtube.

they said that the bridge was under construction since the beginning of the summer so it might have been an accident on behalf of the construction crew

Back
Top Bottom