Migrating from NT4 to Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfdc

Solid State Member
Hi everyone :)

I have exhaustivley looked throughout this forum before posting, but could not find the answer I want, although this does seem a great forum so Ill try to be an active poster.

Anyway

I work as an IT professional both for Microsoft & independently & am about to visit one of our offices in Prague to update & migrate 15 or so users from Windows NT4 to Server 2003. To give you an idea of the topology, the NT4 box hosts all networking services including WINS, DHCP, DNS etc etc. Its linked via a push/pull trust into a domain of five or so other servers ( a mixture of Server 2000/2003) in a forest enviroment. Basic users, nothing else really other than the server acts as a file server too with about 100GB of live data. It belongs to a domain.

Now, Ive ordered new server equipment, which I intend to set up over here in the UK, including setting up the users in AD, setting up the shares and the new domain. We will be setting up a new domain on this machine and demoting the exsisting one at a later date after the install.

Now, ive done this a few times, the whole operation from start to finish using ADMT, with a lot more users than this, but I always get a little nervous when doing it so can any of you guys/girls point out anything that are key areas that I shouldnt miss, or indeed any resourceson the Net that I could refer too!

Im basically going to set everything up over here, post it over, go over there, copy the data across onto the new server, join it to the domain, stop DHCP, WINS, DNS on the NT4 box and demote, and then use ADMT to move all the users across.

About right yeah!? :eek:

BTW, if this forum has some kind of 'newbie' rules that ive broken, or anything like that, a mod or someone please let me know, its unusual not to get a reply and if my forum 'etiquette' is not what it should be , let me know

I have answered someone elses query to show willing, I know some forums wont touch you until youve helped someone else!!?? :-/

im currently in the middle of a inplace upgrade of our 4.0 domain to a 2003 domain. i had some good technet articles and whitepapers, but i'll have to dig them out of my recycle bin or search the web for them again. i'll anwser you once i come up with a smart reply.

bless you :)

Thanks for the reply, yes anything would help, and I do predominantly know pretty much what Im doing, but every time I do it , something changes, and it always pays to ask someone whose done it more recently than you! I cant find any specific NT4 > 2003 articles, Ive even got a paid account on Experts Exchange, but no joy, so any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks once again

Mario

PS - Im shocked to realise that im considered a 'virgin techie' based on my post count alone! hee hee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom