Miffed!

strollin

Knowitall!
Just got notice of a policy change from my employer that has me a bit miffed. I work from home and my employer was paying for my internet connection. I live in a rural area and it costs $138/month for a lousy 4M up/down connection. They have been paying for that connection for years. Now they say they will only pay $50 month MAX. For $50, I could maybe get a 1M up/down connection which probably would be too slow for me to use to work from home.

I work for a large software company that all through the "economic downturn" never had a quarter in which it didn't turn a profit. While other corporations were reporting heavy quarterly losses, my company continued making money. I can understand cutting costs when you aren't making money but not when you are extremely profitable.

So now I'm faced with moving (not gonna happen), dropping back to an even slower connection or paying the $88/month difference out of my own pocket.

Turkeys!

Well maybe a polite phone call or email asking why would open the door to negotiating a mutually satisfying compromise. Or at least find out what's going on. May be a new person in charge that's on a cost cutting binder.

That sucks. Does that mean if you go down to 1Mbps your work will take longer to complete?

In other words, you will work longer for the same pay?

That sucks. Does that mean if you go down to 1Mbps your work will take longer to complete?

In other words, you will work longer for the same pay?

Or... overtime ?

I would contact them about this and see what can be done. The decision was probably made by a big city bean counter who cannot imagine that internet access can be a real challenge for some. You are essentially being marginalised as an employee. You either pay yourself (essentially a pay cut) or move to a slower connections and associated reduced productivity. Bad deal either way...

Back
Top Bottom