Microsoft's Answer to the iPod

DigEagle

Beta member
Apple's iPod currently commands 80% of the portable MP3 player market. However, it seems that Microsoft wants to break into the market with their new portable MP3 player. I read about it today in an article from Technology Review. The new music player, which will be out by Christmas time, boasts wireless capabilities, which the iPod does not have, which would make it independent from a computer. Check out the full article here:

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17145&ch=infotech

Haha, I read about that too.

I always expected they'd do it.

Though, a new Ipod is set to release at the same time, which may also have wireless capabilites, as anything at this point could happen.

Since Windows Media Player uses the avanced sound system, SRS WOW and TruBass, I'd be very surprised if their portable Media player also didn't support this, which would make for great sound features! :D

The only thing to be bothered about, is battery life then as you know it'd have no problems playing MP3/WMA, and probably Windows and standard video formats if it could play video.

Only time will tell.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3234

It sounds interesting. I might have to wait and see what Apple comes out with next. :D This picture is supposed to be from an insider working on the project (if J. Allard finds out who it is, they may lose their job :p).

2042_argo.jpg

To be honest, I would rather buy this than the iPod. The white and black is too common. I think the grey looks really nice.

Yeah, I rather like the look of that too.

With any player though, I worry about the scratches. All these lovely nice shiny materials scratch...

It'd be nice if they came with protection as standard. Maybe a plastic layer that you can swap like mobile phone covers...

The next Apple player will be touch sensitive to the touch of the screen definietly. I believe that would be their next move.

On the audio front...I doubt much will change, but who knows. Its a whole new generaton.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about the next-generation iPod being touch screen. I think I'll wait and see, you never know if it's that great. Becides, I would rather have some solid buttons that are touch sensitive than tap my fingers numb on the screen, which will probably be a fingerprint magnet.

i wouldnt get a touchscreen..ud think the screen would get worn out eventually..and that would suck for videos.

lolz I have read something about this saying that the microsoft mp3 player will be rubbish in the way that it will only play wmf

Rumors. No one really knows much about it's specifications right now, other than it's vaunted Wi-Fi features and long battery life. Oh, and the name for this player is "Zune". Microsoft is currently seeking out accessory manufacturers, many of whom make iPod accessories. However, lower licsensing costs may bring more to Microsoft. :)

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3288

Well the long battery life would definetly be a winner.

15 hours on most at the moment is too low in my book.

Kage said:
Well the long battery life would definetly be a winner.

15 hours on most at the moment is too low in my book.

Agreed, A slimmer Zen Touch would go well in my book :D

Back
Top Bottom