Microsoft holds a funeral for iphone and blackberry...

Windows Mobile doesn't hold a candle to what Microsoft is releasing. Windows Mobile was mediocre at best.

Agreed. Just the fact that the folks from the Zune department are working on the UI already makes Windows Phone 7 superior to Windows Mobile in my book. Finally a mobile OS from Microsoft with a consistent theme and UI that doesn't make me want to punch a baby in the face...

PSST WebOS

Amen. HP/Palm need to promote WebOS more. It's a great mobile OS with plenty that others could learn from (even Apple).

All Microsoft are really doing by pulling these sorts of stunts is reminding everyone that they're years behind the mobile OS market. Seriously, what's taken them so long? Iphone, android and blackberry have all been out years now and with Windows mobile being seen as a running joke from most in the industry I'm surprised they haven't brought something vaguely decent out sooner.

However good this is, I wonder whether it's too late. Most people are more than happy with their iphones or android phones by now and the industry doesn't really need another contender. I guess Microsoft will probably force their way in there with brute investment...

All Microsoft are really doing by pulling these sorts of stunts is reminding everyone that they're years behind the mobile OS market. Seriously, what's taken them so long? Iphone, android and blackberry have all been out years now and with Windows mobile being seen as a running joke from most in the industry I'm surprised they haven't brought something vaguely decent out sooner.

However good this is, I wonder whether it's too late. Most people are more than happy with their iphones or android phones by now and the industry doesn't really need another contender. I guess Microsoft will probably force their way in there with brute investment...

We'll see. Everyone thought Palm was going to go down with WebOS since they were using the incredibly horrible and outdated PalmOS for so long. They've been doing alright...and WebOS has been proven to hold it's own against iOS, Android and BBOS.

The only thing holding Palm is the hardware. At the moment, it's really lackluster. Seems like they haven't updated things in months, and their current offering is interesting to say the least. As for Android, the biggest thing hurting them is fragmentation and integration. Too many phones running different versions/variants of Android makes it difficult to get a streamlined platform for all users. Plus, it just seems to lack the polish of webOS and iOS.

With iOS, the main problem seems to be Apple's control of the ecosystem. Many people take issue with the fact that Apple has been very controlling of the experience. As for me, I'm fine with it. I prefer having something that's both stable and polished, but I can see why some would prefer a more open environment.

As for Android, the biggest thing hurting them is fragmentation and integration. Too many phones running different versions/variants of Android makes it difficult to get a streamlined platform for all users. Plus, it just seems to lack the polish of webOS and iOS.

I agree with you to an extent about the fragmentation, but it really usn't as mugh of a problem as you would think. Nearly every new android phone is shipping with 2.1 or 2.2, and there is very little difference in interface. The biggest problem I see is the hardware manufacturers and carriers tampering. For example, motoblur on the Droid X - It is absolutely awful. All you have to do to get around it is install a home replacement such as adw launcher or launcher pro, and that gets rid of virtually all differences between interfaces on different phones. The bigger problem is carriers tampering to get rid of basic functionality because they don't want people tethering. AT&T's solution was to delete the option to enable sideloading. They also force the manufacturers to delete sideloading features from their sync software. There are ways around it if you dig really deep into the phone's features, but 99% of people would just shrug it off and not install non-market apps. (BTW if this helps anyone, you can enable it by dialing *#*#307#*#*, go to emlist> app security>then tick the box. This makes the option reappear in settings)

As far as it lacking polish, I cannot agree there at all. The google integration is absolutely amazing. The notification system is very well designed so it doesn't clutter like iOS. I haven't encountered any bugs yet, and everything seems to run smoothly. Overall, the interface feels like it was very well thought out, and was intended to be simple, but not too simple.

Only thing holding up Palm is me.

1460466997_f4c5b75f4c_z.jpg

Well, at least it's nice to see that the geniuses at Microsoft are working on something important. :D

Back
Top Bottom