Microphone Volume?

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey guys,

I need a little not computing advice that i'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I have a hands free kit in my car, but I've never been able to use it because someone snipped the microphone off?

I've never bothered with it until recently my Mrs was in a car accident and tried phoning me but I was driving so couldn't answer! So figured i'd try to fix it.

My experiment stage was I nipped to the local Pound shop and bought myself a PC headset, I ripped off the headphones leaving just the microphone bit, I stripped down the wires headed to my car to twist them together and bingo it works (in principal). It only works if I shout extremely loudly lol.

So my question is how do I make it louder, I've checked the handsfree box on the car and the mic volume is up as loud as it can go.

So i'm thinking the microphone I used was a cheap nasty £1 headset microphone so i'm thinking 1, it's cheap and 2 as it's a headset microphone the actual microphone component usually sits less than an inch away from your mouth whereas in my car it's a good 12 - 18 inches away.

Would buying a more expensive "desk" microphone, one that's designed to pick your voice up from a further distance help do you think?

Obviously i'm looking at doing the same thing in stripping it down and wiring it up and I don't want to go out and buy a £20 or so microphone to take it apart and for it to still not work?

Any advice?

Most likely it was a electric condenser mic. They don't need a preamp and pretty sensitive. And they're inexpensive. But they are polarity sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom