Mic. XP Pro 2k and router network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther5060

In Runtime
Ok, perhaps someone else can give me some insight here.

Currently this is how my systems are set up:

Computer #1 (C1) Running windows XP Pro sp2
Computer #2 (C2) Running windows 2k w/ latest sp
D-Link DI-624 Airplus Xtreme G wireless router (for notebook net access...)

Last night I went about networking 2 computers through my router using its onboard DHCP server. I got that to work last night, sharing folders mapping drives etc. etc. When I turned those 2 computers on today however... Computer #2 (C2) would not recognize its own shares, or even that it was part of a workgroup (reinstalled client and the "recognizing itself problem" is solved).

The thing I am having a problem with is getting this computer to recognize Computer #1 (C1). Currently it can see Computer #1 in its workgroup, but whenever I try to access that computer, it gives me an invalid server yadda yadda yadda.

Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone needs any extra information, just ask and I'll be glad to provide you with it.

is the ip for both computers in the same subnet? Did either of them crash overnight a loose some settings?

It seems like when you shut off the computers they each lost their 'key' or credentials for the other computer. You probably have to logon to the one computer from the other and vice versa each time you turn on the computers.

By logging on, I mean re-mapping a drive or accessing a shared folder.

The computers were completly turned off last night.

Something I forgot to mention, the router listed one of my computers as UNKNOWN... poor thing has an identity crisis.

I checked all settings and everything looked pretty much normal so...

is the ip for both computers in the same subnet?

I do not know what you mean by this. (not a networking god, just need 2 computers to work together... heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom