Mic issue? Buzzing on external applications

RianJohnson

Solid State Member
I wasn't sure where to place this thread so I put it here (sorry if it's the wrong place)

But basically, I have a turtlebeach x12 headset (****, I know! But it does the job [atleast it used to] and is cheap!) And on my old pc build, this mic worked fine! I could record gameplay, livestream ect. and the sound quality would be brilliant! However, since my new build whenever I use Skype/teamspeak my mic works perfectly, but when I record with fraps, dxtory, camtasia, or use OBS to livestream my microphone has a terribly loud buzzing, you can still hear my voice (quiet compared to the buzzing) but the buzzing doesn't stop and is too loud and irritating to be able to put up with for more than a minute! I'm not sure if maybe it could be a USB power issue or what? Once again the mic works PERFECTLY in teamspeak, but horrendously in camtasia and other recording programmes.
Any help would be great, thanks.

Hey, I found these steps to try:

1. The USB cable could be damaged, so it might be worth trying another one. Our microphones use the same cable as a printer USB cable, so it's worth trying a new cable to see if this could be the cause of your issue.

2. If the recording level is set up incorrectly on the system preferences or control panel on your computer, the recording software may be adding gain to compensate for the low recording level. It's worth checking your system preferences/control panel to make sure it's picking up the SL microphone at least 80% volume, and making sure it's selected at around the same in your recording software.

3. Make sure on your recording software you're only recording as a 'Mono source', as most condenser microphones are a mono input source. If you choose stereo it will try to fill in the blank channel, which can sometimes add noise or damage your audio.

4. Your computer could be causing a small electro static interference. This sometimes happens if you're recording on a laptop and the laptop is just running off battery power. If you do experience this, there are great noise reduction plugins for programs like Garage-band Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic which can clear this sound, getting rid of it all together without effecting the quality of your audio. It works by just getting rid of the frequency of the static.

Are you plugging the headset into the front panel or the rear of the PC?

If you're using the front panel, try using the rear ports instead (just to test for now), I get a buzzing sound through my headphones when I use the front panel ports (cheap PC case..)

Back
Top Bottom