Mguire's 68 Mustang (Ongoing Project Log)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
I don't know how quickly this will go at first due to a very small budget, a kid on the way, and many financial hills we have to get over but I decided to make a thread after all.

This particular car has been in the family over half of my life time. My mom paid 500 dollars for it originally from some junker who rigged almost the whole car just to make the engine run. The passenger door was from a 67, the seats from a 66, the engine (as we found out many years later) from a 73 Maverick, and I doubt the suspension is even original considering I think this was originally (by VIN) a 289 car. When we got it, the car was painted black, smashed in the front crunching up the inner engine cradle, grill, and hood. Chips of paint where revealing miscolored parts and it was basically turning into a rainbow of paint after a few years of driving it. (I don't have pictures of the car when we first got it, which I wish we did.) It was a daily driver for a few years and then in either 2001 or 2002 somebody in our area decided to sabotage my dads work and stick trani fluid in the water and water in the oil. He did a complete rebuild of the engine and head and it just sat there because they had purchased new vehicles. For some reason my mom refused to drive it and so as with all old cars the master cylinder crapped out, wheel cylinders crapped out, and the paint got worse.

5 years ago (about 2006) my dad and I decided to redo the car so my mom would have something to drive to her new job. It went from looking like this

100_0658.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_0662.jpg

To this

100_0683.jpg

100_0684.jpg

We did all the amateur painting ourselves in an enclosed canopy garage type thing. It sucked, but it got the job done. Unfortunately even after making it go, making it look good, and even legalizing it the car still sat there. After doing all of this my dad was ****ed and gave up on the car. Last year I offered my mom my running, inspected, perfectly fine Cavalier for this Mustang but she refused. Finally earlier this month she gives me the car after I decided to work on it to give her a vehicle (sort of repeating pattern here).

Currently it sits and looks like this after 5 years of dust and rock ruining our paint job.

DSCN1828.jpg

It has a straight 6 that I am slightly modifying to go a bit faster and be a little more reliable in the intake department. I am borrowing my dads Motorcraft 2bbl off his 67 Mustang until I can afford a Holley Street 350cfm 2bbl carb.

The rear end needs some new shackles, new shocks, and I am installing the new LED tail lights.
The front end is getting a new suspension treatment as well as disc power assisted brakes.
I am replacing the internal lights with LED's and the dash lights as well.

In June I will have a friend down and we will be doing alot more work on the car. If our jobs stay current and steady then I will be doing a 302 swap with a 4bbl intake and 2.5" dual exhaust. The rear end will become 9" 5 lug, with an IRS system with adjustable height to get rid of the shackles. The front end will have a TCP power steering setup to compliment the 5 lug disk brake swap along with other TCP parts (upper/lower control arms, spindles, struts, ect). If we wind up not having steady jobs then I will keep the 6 in it.

Eventually I want the car to look like this except with white stripes and the front end a little higher.

28428690099_large.jpg

Also, the car in the pic is a 67 and I have a 68 so the quarter panel effect wont be there.

I've been changing my mind alot lately with the car but so far these basic options have stuck around. Anytime I do something notable with the car I'll take pics and post on the log.

I wish I knew what became of my friend's '68 Mustang. It was his project car, especially after his brain tumor came back. Before he died he had added faux Shelby side scoups, a ratchet shifter, racing bucket seats, a laser-cut instrument panel, racing steering wheel (welded chain, chromed), new interior. He had pulled the 289 and had a 351M built out the wazoo for it and put in (had to cut out some of the wheel wells for that as well as replace the suspension). he had swapped out the steering and brakes for power steering and four wheel disk brakes. The last I heard was that it had been sent out to be painted (Dodge Viper Pearlescant Purple).

He didn't live to see it finished and I don't have the heart to ask his widow about it.

He probably just had a Mustang 2 front end put in which is basically a simple weld on to the frame kit. With this setup you can eliminate the need for the shock towers and put big blocks in with super charger setups. It comes with power steering, front disc, coil overs, ect ect. I'm retaining the stock setup and getting TCP bolt on products. I'll have basically the same setup except I don't need to cut or weld, and can revert to stock if I want to. With a TCP setup, I will still have the feeling of a modern suspension and power steering on an older car but retain the original shock towers and inner fender wells. I'm also sticking with a small block 302 with a single quad (4bbl carb) and converting the rear to 9" with an IRS. When I get my 67 here it will have the Mustang 2 setup in front and a 427 though ;)

Sorry to hear about your friend though. Sounds like he had a beast Mustang being built for him.

Today I set the front end up with new brake parts all the way around. I was going to take before and after pictures but I had realized midway that Autozone had screwed up my order yet again so I got distracted. Before I could take pics my hands where already covered in grease and I was half way done. Anyways, not like I did a disc conversion or anything so nothing great to see.

Next up I will be replacing the 1bbl carb and giving her an adapter to make this little engine a 2bbl.

Trans Dapt 2044 Trans Dapt Performance Products Carb Adapters

Well everything is being put on hold besides minor fixes until my friend gets here this month. He will be bringing me a whole slew of parts that we will be installing in a the time frame of a couple of weeks. The list includes but not limited to:

Full front and rear 5 lug suspension with front disc brakes
New cable for a rewire job
C6 transmission plus torque converter
OEM power steering setup
Window crank for passenger side
Exhaust setup

If we can and have time we might actually drop the 302 but it requires fixing a freeze plug and making sure it still works properly. Also includes doing a complete clean job on my Holley carb but with the new suspension it's possible. I'll be taking off from work to get as much done as possible.

The 302 is a powerful engine, and a very good platform for building up! I had the choice between a 302 or my 2.3L, it's a lot more fun to embarrass big V8's with a SMALL 4cyl. :p Wish I never would have got rid of the car...

Well it's a 75% chance we wont get around to dropping the engine I'm afraid. We have 2 weeks tops in between my work schedule to do all this and I think an engine swap with 2 guys will be a bit hard in under 2 weeks with having a full suspension and trani swap to do. Not to mention we have to rewire the bugger. The guy is a ****** mechanic, not Superman lol. I mean if we did it really quick he would have to leave with me learning how to tweak everything myself. If that happened I would probably be without a car for a while because I can only Google and learn so fast.

You are right though, and the 302 is going to be a great little engine once I have it in my car. If we leave it out and I do the things I want to to it there will be no way a 4 banger could keep up with me ;)

Ok so due to complications my friend was never able to come down so I've decided I will be keeping the i6 in the car and will do some modifications to the engine.
First things first, getting her up and running. When coming home from my last day of work at Waffle House I bottomed out and it tore up my rear suspension and rear tires. Project was put on hiatus due to no funds. I am being sent some parts to help fix the rear end so yesterday I got to work on the car and took lots of photos for the project log.

I'll add the pics later as I should be receiving parts later on today. If they don't come I'll add what pics I have now.

Looking like this project might be scrubbed. Somebody screwed with my transmission and it has leaked all of its fluid and I have no idea where the leak is. I also still haven't gotten any of the parts I was promised.
I got things lining up to trade for an 04 GT until I can sell that and possibly try to get my dads car.

Things have changed, and the guy didn't want to trade. It turns out his brother (who was a good friend of my dad) was trying to help them out by basically giving them another car and they refused. My friend and I have decided to start a Trans-Am team with our Mustangs. We are popping a 289 and 4 speed top loader in my car, adding a roll cage, and a few other things and will probably start next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom