message from Microsoft: authentic?

gib65

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm getting this message (repeatedly) that claims to be from Microsoft, and I don't know if I should trust it:

"Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is part of Microsoft's effort to reduce software piracy. Installing this software can help confirm that the copy of Windows installed on this PC is genuine and properly licensed.

If your copy of Windows is not genuine, the software will provide periodic reminders to help you take appropriate action and protect yourself from security threats posed by counterfeit software."

Does anyone recognize this, and is it really from Microsoft?

Yep it's legit. You'll get that if you install M$ software like Office.
The WGAN should show up in your updates. All it does is confirm you have a legit copy.

If your copy of windows is legit then you have nothing to worry about and should install it. Certain software and updates will look for this before they will install (new versions of Windows Media Player, for example). If your copy of windows is not legit then you will get a bunch of annoying messages and an icon in your sys tray if you install it.

ONLY trust this message if you're getting it on the microsoft website. If you're getting it in an email or some random other program then it's probably malicious.

Back
Top Bottom