memory

sometimes when companies advertise products they over-exagerate how much is available. they did it with my ipod at least... and with the new external hdd i bought.

if thats not it, it could be a memory limit on your motherboard or something.

You are most likely using a 32-bit Operating system. Mine does that too. (MCE'05)

EDIT: Look closer at the picture, I see you have vista. Home Premium? Probably 32 bit. 32 bit applications typically only report up to about 3Gb of your actual RAM no matter how much your system has. Using a 64bit operating system will fix that.

sometimes when companies advertise products they over-exagerate how much is available. they did it with my ipod at least... and with the new external hdd i bought.

if thats not it, it could be a memory limit on your motherboard or something.

Im not sure. Windows always does the same to me at 3.25.

Linux detects it though, so I know its the OS.

You are most likely using a 32-bit Operating system. Mine does that too. (MCE'05)

EDIT: Look closer at the picture, I see you have vista. Home Premium? Probably 32 bit. 32 bit applications typically only report up to about 3Gb of your actual RAM no matter how much your system has. Using a 64bit operating system will fix that.

sorry for my little picture but it says im running a 64 bit os, unless thats wrong?
EDIT: its windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

You are currently on Windows Vista 64bit? Then it should recognize. If you are on 64 bit and it doesn't read all 4Gb, check your RAM to make sure it's seated.

Back
Top Bottom