Memory Question

andrewmoquin

Banned
I have a pretty large hard drive on my laptop with about 450 gigs. I have about 250 of those gigs apparently USED and I don't know what the heck is holding all my memory cuz I'd like to delete it.

Is there any way to do a check to see where all the big gobs of memory is being used at? I've been manually checking all my folders but I can't find where this huge ass cache is being used up at. I've checked all the common folders and started to prune the Program Files and Windows files and still can't find anything. I should only have like 30 gigs maximum of used disc space taken up instead of like 250.

Any tips?

Pictures? Videos? Music? Downloads?

Maybe you have lots of programs installed?

I don't know how exactly to do a SIZE check, but you could possibly just check all your program files and see what's up. Look in your Recycle Bin, My Documents, etc. too.

If you have network sharing enabled check the shared folder maybe someone on your network is using your harddrive to store there files

what OS are you using?

I know when I went from my old system: (Dell) windows XP 80g HD I had it about 3/4 of the way full.

now my new system: (custom) windows vista ult. 64bit, 1TB HD. only been using it for about 2 months, carried over the exact same amount of pics / music. and installed Crysis. I have used up 200 GB of my hd.

I couldn't believe that I ran for 3 years never filling a 80gb and now BEFORE i go on my next music splurge I have almost 3 times that filled up. I just assumed it was vista being so much larger then xp.

I have a pretty large hard drive on my laptop with about 450 gigs. I have about 250 of those gigs apparently USED and I don't know what the heck is holding all my memory cuz I'd like to delete it.

Is there any way to do a check to see where all the big gobs of memory is being used at? I've been manually checking all my folders but I can't find where this huge ass cache is being used up at. I've checked all the common folders and started to prune the Program Files and Windows files and still can't find anything. I should only have like 30 gigs maximum of used disc space taken up instead of like 250.

Any tips?

There are hidden folders in your system. One of the hidden folders is the system restore folder. This folder has snap shots of your system and it could take up a lot of space.

There are hidden folders in your system. One of the hidden folders is the system restore folder. This folder has snap shots of your system and it could take up a lot of space.
You can go to Start > My Computer > Properties > System Restore and either drag the slider to min or check the box to disable it alltogether. But if you mess something up, you can't go back if you disable it.

Back
Top Bottom