Memory problem

cbachinger

In Runtime
Hi all forum users.

Ive been having a major memory problem lately, to the effect that it takes forever (3 minutes) for the desktop to fully load up, with the my wallpaper already loaded up.

It isnt fragmentation, spyware, temp internet files, cookies, or hard disk space (im at 50%). I keep regular check ups.

I feel its to do with my virtual memory settings. But ive got the minimum set at 766 as recommended. What should it be?

Could it be certain memory using programs? Cant be, as ive had certain programs like norton, svchost.exe and alike since the beginning and the trouble has only been recent.

What else could it do to help my laptop speed?

My specs are Intel Centrino, 1.6Ghz, 512MB, 37GB hard disk space.

Many thanks!!

Go ahead and go to start > run > msconfig and go to the "start up" tab. Run through that list and look at the roots of everything file that is to run when you start up. That should take care of it if its a program or file that is booting and taking all of your memory and/or cpu.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

be VERY carefull what you uncheck because it can cause major problems if you uncheck the wrong thing.

I still think it is spyware/malware related.... but first lets clarify the virtual memory issue....minimum should be set to no less than 200 and maximum should be 11/2 x your ram which is what you have set for your minumum setting should infact be your max setting.

Now there are programs that will and do run in the background that if you downloaded them then they will not show up as spyware/malware.. These include tool bars and screen savers and free just about anything....it is true that you don't get anything for free...
You say that you maintain it pretty well and that is good but have you compressed your drive with disc clean up utillity? and cleaned out all the cookies and temp files and prefetch files? these will also build up and cause your system to slow way down...And the last thing is have you done a reg clean lately?

Ive had this problem before and i wasnt even connected to the internet, re intalled windows and it was fine.

I think that theres something we dont know about computers *nods* I think they age, when they get old they slow down, and eventually die *nod nod* Its like my grandpas bones, only..its like a programs backbone..and stuff XP lol

Thanx for ur replies!

The processes while running normally after bootup are:

iexplore.exe 33MB
svchost.exe 30MB
msnmsgr.exe 29MB
explorer.exe 23MB
ccapp.exe 15MB

Surely this is normal?

But these are essential programs so they cant be cancelled?

Ive been told by computer technicians and other ameture users long ago not to compress old files in scandisk as this can and will slow down your computer.

Ive run spyware with the latest patches (and in safe mode), i have temp internet files and cookies auto deleted everyday and i clean my registry every week with registry mechanic 5.0

Is it recommended that min virtual memory is as low as 200MB (system says 766MB) and max is set as system recommended max setting?

Thanx for recommendations and look forward to more :)

Back
Top Bottom