Memory as storage?

MikeReiner

Golden Master
Is there a good program out there anywhere that lets you use system memory as a small storage device (or so windows would classify it) in windows? like have it be a removable storage device or something?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, i'm kinda handicapped right now.

I don't believe its possible RAM (Random Access Memory) merely stores files for faster access then what a HD can provide. I don't believe you can put the memory in there manually however I may be wrong. Have you tried a google? Never heard of this being possible.

You can't use RAM for actual storage. It is not meant for that. It is meant to store current programs/ files temporarily so you can access them faster (hence more RAM, better performance, more can get loaded into it). Yeah, so unless something ground-breaking has come about, I believe it is quite impossilbe to use RAM like a flash drive. That would be cool though...

linnerd40 said:
You can't use RAM for actual storage. It is not meant for that. It is meant to store current programs/ files temporarily so you can access them faster (hence more RAM, better performance, more can get loaded into it). Yeah, so unless something ground-breaking has come about, I believe it is quite impossilbe to use RAM like a flash drive. That would be cool though...

I know all about memory, no lesson necessary.
And as a matter of fact, there is such a thing possible, it's known as the gigabyte I-Ram. But that is not the type of storage I am discussing.

Picture this: Your computer has 4 gigs of memory. You have a program that can take two of those gigs and turn it into a virtual hard drive that shows up in windows, yet no physical changes have taken place.

You get the idea.

Doesn't RAM automatically wipe itself though when power is lost?

MikeReiner said:
I know all about memory, no lesson necessary.
And as a matter of fact, there is such a thing possible, it's known as the gigabyte I-Ram. But that is not the type of storage I am discussing.

Picture this: Your computer has 4 gigs of memory. You have a program that can take two of those gigs and turn it into a virtual hard drive that shows up in windows, yet no physical changes have taken place.

You get the idea.

Yeah, that would be cool...

Kage said:
Doesn't RAM automatically wipe itself though when power is lost?

RAM is volatile memory, which means once the power is cut, whatever is in it is wiped. That's why if you have something stored in RAM like a word document you haven't saved, and you lose power, most times it is lost.

Maybe to use it as temporary storage for putting it somewhere else??? Not sure of the concept if it is volatile memory.

I know you can do it physically, so it may be possible.

Gigabyte's I-RAM can take up to 4GB of RAM and turn it into a hard drive. How it works it that it contains an ion battery which means that the RAM is still 'powered on' up to something like 5 hours after the PC itself is switched off.

Unfourtunately, I don't think that any bright soul has yet come up with a way of doing this in software but without the battery.

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom