meida pc

convergecult

In Runtime
when building a media center pc what spec need to be more stressed...like should i spend more money on more hd capacity rather than processor speed or graphics cards?...how much ram ect.....can you use a media center pc as a cable tv to with a tv tuner?.....im new to this and thought it would be cool to build a cheap one for my room

Basically, any of the windows xp family is suitable for any media center. The only difference between XP MCE (media center edition) and its siblings is its media player. XP MCE is just XP home with a purty edition of windows media player. As for hardware, graphics (NVIDIA is best), sound (Creative Labs are best), and HD space are utmost important. Memory and processor and second most important. However, I suggest 512 MB or more is sufficient and processor speed: 2.0 Ghz or more is good. To get TV, you have to have a good quality tv tuner. With it, you can record live tv (like TiVo). In addition, your sound system needs to be of good quality like Bose, Altec Lansing, etc

Well when it comes to Using Media there are alot of different things you can do. I'm guessing your not just going to be playing and downloading your tunes? You will be recording as well? Lardge Hard drives in a media system are really needed because songs and videos will fill up your computer in no time. So a 200GB Hard drive with SATA will be the way to go. When you talking about a CPU, a simple 2.6-2.8Ghz will do you fine. Having 1 GB RAM is a must. But i think you should buy or download some good music editing software. Hope i helped abit

I would say the most important things would be the RAM and CPU, since youll most likly have alot of programs running at the same time. So i would get 1gig of RAM or more. And a mid range dual core CPU (id get a conroe).

allenn812 said:
I would say the most important things would be the RAM and CPU, since youll most likly have alot of programs running at the same time. So i would get 1gig of RAM or more. And a mid range dual core CPU (id get a conroe).

yes, i would also get a decnt drive at least 120gb for recording with medai cneter.... and medai cneter is more thne media player... u can watch live tv, record tv, and have guide and other stuff

allenn812 said:
nah, Conroe is more gaming than anything. I would get AM2 CPU or a Intel Pentium D than just overclock it

hey sorry it took me so long to post back college and work is getting crazy. what i plan on doing(it will be a while im just getting ideas) is basicly im going to use it just like a tv. im going to upload all my dvd's so i know ill need a huge hardrive or two. and being able to watch satilite on it whitch i was told that i could due with the right tv tuner. so it will basicly be like a home entertainment center.

4thgradedropout said:
when building a media center pc what spec need to be more stressed...like should i spend more money on more hd capacity rather than processor speed or graphics cards?...how much ram ect.....can you use a media center pc as a cable tv to with a tv tuner?.....im new to this and thought it would be cool to build a cheap one for my room

On regards to specs, it does not need a powerful PC to be a good media centre.

I would concentrate on having a large size hard drive, a decent dual layer DVD rom, and then a middle range graphics card.

I would also still go for at least a gig of memory and a reasonable processor, as if you wish to convert movies etc, it can take a while on something a bit slower.

I use a Hauppage PVR 150, which enables me to view SKY (Satelite TV) through my computer, there is a dual tuner version, I think the 500 so you can watch one channel and record another, but you have to remember that you would still need two decoders to watch another satellite channel.

Basically, any of the windows xp family is suitable for any media center. The only difference between XP MCE (media center edition) and its siblings is its media player. XP MCE is just XP home with a purty edition of windows media player. As for hardware, graphics (NVIDIA is best), sound (Creative Labs are best), and HD space are utmost important. Memory and processor and second most important. However, I suggest 512 MB or more is sufficient and processor speed: 2.0 Ghz or more is good. To get TV, you have to have a good quality tv tuner. With it, you can record live tv (like TiVo). In addition, your sound system needs to be of good quality like Bose, Altec Lansing, etc

No, XP MCE is not XP home, it is XP Pro, with the additional media components. If you wait till Vista then those components come intergrated already but then you have the system demands that Vista places so you will need to have a relatively decent computer.

If you are running your audio through the media centre, then yes you would need a relatively good soundcard, for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, it really depends on what you want to use it for, for example as your central media system or just an option in your bedroom etc.

Back
Top Bottom