Media PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I know...but man....I am spending to much on this as it is.

I mean, that is something that I can add on later and be fine with....I would like to have it right now.....but I am really wanting a nice set of speakers and have my eyes on the audioengine 5.

Aw, geez! I put together a build last night/this morning using a HTPC case (ThermalTake Fragbox Lite) and a AMD quad, blu-ray, everything... and apparently forgot to submit it!

That just sucks.

Here is the case I used in my HTPC:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 360 RC-360-KKR1 Black Plastic (front bezel), SECC (case body) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Thermal Master 350w Power Supply
COOLER MASTER Elite 360 RC-360-KKR1 Black Plastic (front bezel), SECC (case body) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Thermal Master 350w Power Supply

Great case, well built, fits ATX and mATX boards. Its nice because it comes with rubber feet so you can lay it on its side and stick on a TV stand instead of having a tower off to the side. The only issue I ran into was the video card. The PSU is mounted in the front, with the video card directly behind it. I originally planned on putting a GeForce 9600 GSO in it but the power connectors came off the back instead of the side which made it too long. So I ended up having to put in a shorter, newer GeForce GTS 250 which had power connectors coming off the side.

If your only using the PC for movies and music you really don't need a whole lot of system power. Go with an AMD chip and save the money. You find cheaper boards, and cheaper CPU's. I recently built a system with this chip and board:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX $102.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

$25 off in a combo. It plays Starcraft 2 at max on a 9600GSO with 4GB's of DDR3 at 1280x1024 (although you would probably need a more powerful video card at a higher res). However I do agree on the Blu-ray, you can always wait and swap it out late.

This is actually going to geared toward music and gaming....so I will need alittle extra power.......I dont own a single blu-ray disc yet, maybe someday.....but i am fine watching my movies on reg dvd.
Maybe when it just becomes the norm, then I will get blu-ray.

Not that i don't like it....I think it is awsome....but just not enough money :cry: to get it all now.......I want to try those audioengine 5 speakers out with a kick butt soundcard.

Anybody own an ATI 5770 GPU....and how will it hold up gaming at 1920x1080 at medium settings and no AA?

^^ That's what it sounds like to me to^^

I think he said Media PC just to get our attention with something different :D

That would be correct....play games....Serve as our main stereo and will have lots of mp3's on it. .....and holds tons of pictures for my wife

I may back the video card off alittle bit and just get a card that run valve games pretty well.

also may go back down to a dual core i3 cpu........I would think that would still do ok for some light to mid gaming.

What do you guys think........just ditch the blu-ray idea for now

I still have around $1000 to spend on these components and not a penny more.........Every other cent I have is going towards a sound card and speakers.

Like I said....this project has gone in a different direction..

Heck, if i could find a bunch of used parts for a 775 build...i was just build one of those....but buying new I dont save a whole lot of cash doing it.

I have made Fat.Clown an offer for the cpu and power supply in his B/S/T thread....same cpu and power supply, except his is modular......may be i can help hiom out and save a few dollars........I

Wow please let me know how that comes out. That sound card looks amazing! Are you running the sound card into a receiver or amp?

Wow please let me know how that comes out. That sound card looks amazing! Are you running the sound card into a receiver or amp?

Yes, the audioengine 5 speakers have a built in amplifier, that way you dont have the amp sitting on your desk, not that that is a big deal to me....but I have heard the audioengine 2 speakers, and they sound amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom