Maybe my last build...

Well guys, how much CPU do you need? :rolleyes:

I do fine with my 3rd gen i5. :dance:

Likewise, but I've also been considering upgrading. Not for games mind you, but I regularly do HEVC video encoding, and an 8th gen i5 would get it done a lot quicker than my current offering...!

Likewise, but I've also been considering upgrading. Not for games mind you, but I regularly do HEVC video encoding, and an 8th gen i5 would get it done a lot quicker than my current offering...!
I think you'd be better off investing in a good Graphics card. Using hardware acceleration is much faster than upgrading the processor. For reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

I never bought cutting edge technology as you know what they cost. To me it's just bragging rights.

I always bought last year's technology and spent cents on dollars. I built my i5 system in 2012. Year before I built a 2nd gen i3 system which I still have.

By the way, the i3 system used to be the Celeron system. I joined this forum on my Celeron and thus got my name from it.

They're all interchangeable so I'll be going for years to come on a socket 1155 system. :)

Last edited:
I never bought cutting edge technology as you know what they cost. To me it's just bragging rights.

I always bought last year's technology and spent cents on dollars. I built my i5 system in 2012. Year before I built a 2nd gen i3 system which I still have.

By the way, the i3 system used to be the Celeron system. I joined this forum on my Celeron and thus got my name from it.

They're all interchangeable so I'll be going for years to come on a socket 1155 system. :)
You're a very smart buyer, not bad. I within the past year just got into building computers and went a little overboard building a few high-end but I had the money to spend

It really depends on what you need it for. Maybe someone has need for the latest (and usually overpriced) technology. Usually the real world performance increase doesn't justify the price bump.

And future-proofing is just BS.

It really depends on what you need it for. Maybe someone has need for the latest (and usually overpriced) technology. Usually the real world performance increase doesn't justify the price bump.

And future-proofing is just BS.
I'm telling you man you have got a bad attitude and I think you need to go for a walk and breathe and when you come back you can stop attacking people's choices

My i5 was built with some high ends but according to ratings. Because of my budget I bought parts on the monthly basis while using my i3 system (which I built as a budget system).

I just replaced the memory module not long ago but I bought a set (2x4) for replacement.

You can see it in my profile.

Back
Top Bottom