mass data storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
I didn't know where else to post this since we really don't have a board that this fits into. but onto the problem.

I have a new client who is a member of a small local team of financial planning businesses. They need a better way to store client information in a more secure, and centralized way. i went down a quick list with one of the managers to show how many options they have ie: DVDs, FTP server, Tapes, Database etc etc. anyways what do you think the best option is? I haven't spoken with them in great depth yet but i was leaning towards an ftp server paired with tape or dvd backups. Do you guys have an better ideas? And how much do you think i should charge for the consulting not considering the fees of installing any hardware/software yet. This is a big break for me and the 3rd local company that has come to me for services, so I want to do this right.

I would use tape as the primary means of storing the data. It's fast, and when stored properly, lasts a very long while.

FTP would be crazily slow unless it's a great deal of small files clumped together, and they'd only need to get to a handful at a time.

As for fees to charge, wrong department for me.

well we are talking spreadsheets and such nothing over 1meg. is there a server internet based solution that would be better? these are a few groups spread across town so i cant just go and make shared folders in a network. Thats why I considered ftp. Is there a type of database out there that can do this? up until now they have emailed each other needed files but thats kind of annoying and slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom