(Marvel) Runaways Movie Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently went back and started reading through some old comics. the utter lack of any real storyline is enough to make you want to throw them away. I'm talking late 70's through the 80's. An entire issue is wasted just to get an attention grabbing cover for the mag... it has nothing to do with the current story, but it justified the cover.

Some comics have had some awesome story arcs, such as Daredevil's Fall From Grace storyline and such, and these make the whole thing worth it. I just got my hands on scanned copies of the X-Men, from issue #1 through #497. I will read my way through them, but I know most of it will be a waste of my time.

I went through some of the current comics the other day and hardly recognized even the "old timers", much less all the new characters. Seems like most of the publishers are getting pretty close to the bottom of the barrel anymore. My buddies and I could teach them a thing or two... we played Champions for years and never had a dull moment or a lack of creativity in the heroes or villians.

I was never much of a comic fan other than the odd one mostly because the story's are bland or just don't interest me in the least. The main focus of this is marvel an DC there stuff has always reaked of the 50's batman an supperman are the most retarded supper heros in the world (with the exception of the joker).

I am not saying that there hasnt been the odd good story line but most are just dull, I also think most of the ones hollywood are coming out with are just reactoanry they care little for the story an are ruining the industry trying to push bland tastelss pap down our necks. Need i say Ultra Violet (film) to any one?

The best comic to come to mind that was turned into a TV series was the english SciFi show Ultra Violet (not the film) it was about a special police unit hunting down vampiers in london, it started life as a commic book an then got turned into a TV show when the commic died off.

I've recently went back and started reading through some old comics. the utter lack of any real storyline is enough to make you want to throw them away.
That's what happened to my stuff from the 90's. 4 50ltr tubs worth of comic books found themselves down at a scout garage sale.

I'm talking late 70's through the 80's. An entire issue is wasted just to get an attention grabbing cover for the mag... it has nothing to do with the current story, but it justified the cover.
Issue 120 of X-Force is a excellent example of that
xforce120.jpg

Stick Wolverine on the cover of any thing, and it will boost the sales.

Some comics have had some awesome story arcs, such as Daredevil's Fall From Grace storyline and such, and these make the whole thing worth it.
That's what happened when they get some quality authors to do it.
Daredevil's Fall From Grace is one of those story arc which I will get around to picking up some day as I have heard from many sorces that it's a must read.
Another good read was the Grant Morrison run on New X-Men. I got the big fat omibus 2 christmas's ago as I needed some reading material for a long 14 hour bus trip. I could not put it down.

I just got my hands on scanned copies of the X-Men, from issue #1 through #497. I will read my way through them, but I know most of it will be a waste of my time.
Some thing like that goes up and down. It depends on who is writing it. Like I think the worthwhile older story arcs will be
* Dark Phoenix Saga
* Days Of Future Past

Eve of Destruction accroding to the discription is good, but was a complete let down.
Operation Zero Tolerance started off really good. But in the end, it fizzled out.

In the last few years,
House Of M is a must read. I only focused on the core book, and not bothered with the spin offs.
Messiah Complex and the lead up too this story arc ("Supermovas" and "Blinded By The Light") are good reads too.

My buddies and I could teach them a thing or two... we played Champions for years and never had a dull moment or a lack of creativity in the heroes or villians.
Now that's fond memories for me too. I wish I could do that again. It just can not seem to find a good RPG group.

Mind you, not all comic books that I read are about capes and supervillains. I have been finding myself reading DMZ. It's set in the near future where america is going though the 2nd Civil War. The fighting as come to a stand still in Manhattan, which as become a demilterised zone. You have a photo journalist that is suppose to be going into the Manhattan for a short assignment. Only problem is that his helicopter gets shot down. And from there it get treated like a political foot ball for both sides of the conflict.
The 5th volume comes out today. So I am going to be looking forward to picking that up this week end.

dangz with the superman thing...is that how they have him looking now or is it just temporary?
Thankfully that was another superman publicity stunt just to boost sales.

Firstly superman turned blue and he was some sort of energy form. And shortly after they did Superman Red/Superman Blue.
About the only change that they did you superman that I did not mind over the years was giving him long hair after that entire Doomsday/Reign Of The Supermen Story arc. Every thing else has mad me yell "DON'T **** WITH IT!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom